Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grizzly Luthiers catalog

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Jan 5, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
  2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sweet! Decent prices too.

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    But can you order one? I don't see where you can ...

4. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I already get the Grizzly catalog (that dang thing is around here somewhere!). I just thought that maybe they had a luthier-specific version that I was missing. Thanks, BassHo! :D

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You know, I've barely got my bass GAS in control, now you're going to start tempting me with TOOL GAS!!!! (and don't even get me started on that thread with the photos of the shops in it.)

I hate you all,

I'm going to bed.

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I went ahead and requested one. I put in the notes that I wanted the Luthier one. I'll let you guys know what shows up. Did you look at the 5A maple billets? HOLY S&^T!! You could make tops for at least 2 basses from one of those, or the front and back for 1, ultra sick!

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Don't sugar-coat it, LaJoieT, tell us how you REALLY feel.... :D :D :D

8. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    You would need to plane those billets, but damn... I am almost tempted to get some of that 5A veneer.

9. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Very, very sweet!

10. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    1 billet = one bookmatched carved top. :)

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I guess it depends how you cut it. The billets are 2 1/4" thick, so you could probably get 4 x (3/8" - 1/2") pieces out of it. It just depends how thick you want the top to be.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Key word being "carved". I think he meant really carved, like a Les Paul top...

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Oops, I missed 'carved'. Those would make an awesome top. Split that thing for 2 x 1" top pieces once it's planed and that would be totally sick!

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Oh, yeah it would! I've been thinking of getting some of the veneer myself; if my myrtle burl doesn't settle down, I may have no other choice anyway.

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Page 11 of this catalog has the "Billets of the Gods"...is that where Jens gets them?

16. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    the billets are only 20" long. Forme that equals neck dive... :bawl:

17. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I just added 1.5"+ to one of my designs and it's still under 20". You must have a longgggg design!

I still have never made a maple topped instrument.

18. GregBreshears

GregBreshears Commercial User

Jun 6, 2002
    Independence, MO
    Owner: Greg Breshears Guitarworks
    Grizzly is a great company to work with. Most of my shop tools are Grizzly. It helps that one of their big showrooms is just a 3 hour drive south, so when I was setting up my shop I could go down and pick and choose the machines I needed. I still want to save up about 7 grand and get their Model G0503 12" horizontal re-saw bandsaw :D . But for now I'll stick with what I've got. I also sent a request and asked them if they had a paper version of the luthiers catalog or if it was just the online version. Most of the pages are in the new 2005 full catalog in the wood grain tipped section, with a few of the clamps and other items mixed through out the rest of the catalog. On the the best tools that I've got from them was the Model G1071 Oscillating Spindle Sander, it has a 25" x 25" table, that makes sanding bodies and template much less of a chore.

Greg Breshears

19. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hmm, my design is exactly 19 7/8" which puts the top horn right at the 12th fret. And there's not all that much room behind the bridge. Maybe it's a 35" vs. 34" scale thing?