1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Groove Regulator effects loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JMDT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    In the last couple weeks I've jumped into the effects bandwagon for bass. I've been experimenting with some of my pedals I use with the guitar with varying success (the BF-3 is nice, but the various delays/reverbs and distortions are so far unappealing) and got an OC-2 last week that works very well.

I've been researching fuzz boxes and filters as my next additions to my bass pedal board. After hours of reading and listening to sound clips I think I will get an EH Bass Big Muff Pi and a 3Leaf Groove Regulator to fill these slots unless anyone can talk me into something better.

So this all brings me to my question: what is the purpose of the effects loop on the groove regulator? I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out a use for the thing.

Thanks

2. The effects loop allows you to have effects that are between the envelope follower and the filter. Many effects, especially distortion/fuzz, can alter (or obliterate) your dynamics. Since envelope filters depend on reading your dynamics to determine how far to sweep the filter, you want to pass them (or any envelope follower) a relatively clean signal. The loop allows you to do this, and still have the other affects occur before the filter sound.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Some envelope-following filters have an FX loop for gain pedals. You'll notice if you put a fuzz before a filter, your dynamics will get flattened and the filter won't be able to quack along with your playing.

The loop solves that problem because it gets the envelope from your clean tone, then sends the signal out to get fuzzed up in the loop, and filters it when it comes back.

Edit: Bah. Beaten.

4. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
  5. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    Interesting...seems like a very useful feature then. It looks like it would make sense to run the octave and fuzz in the effects loop for the best tracking. Would the octave or fuzz go first in the loop in this arrangement?

When the Groove Regulator is switched off do the pedals in the loop still work or are they bypassed as well?

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    They are bypassed when you turn the pedal off. Octave before fuzz.

7. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    That wasn't the response I was hoping for :meh:.

So is there a way to use say the Boss line selector to pull the pedals out of the loop when I'm not using the Groove Regulator, or is that too complicated. Otherwise I would need two sets of pedals in the loop if i didn't plan to use the groove regulator 100 percent of the time.

So octave before fuzz. Thanks.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Probably very complicated.

I've got a Robot Factory Meatwad here (another Meatball clone like the Groove Regulator) which has a switch on the side to determine what happens to the effect loop when the filter is bypassed, so I can keep the pedals in the loop active and just bypass the filter. It was a custom request but wasn't that expensive - might be worth emailing Mario about it if the Meatwad isn't already out of your price range.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yeah, it can be a tricky thing to figure out. Outside of a mod (like kevteop mentioned) or having two separate fuzzes on your board (one in the loop and one not) I think the best solution is just to compromise.

In my case, that means always having a fuzz with a clean blend that I run into my filter(s). I believe the Bass Big Muff has a switch to allow you clean signal through right?

If so, you would lose a bit of your dynamics with the fuzz engaged, but still have enough to control when the filters opens while also feeding it a fuzz tone.

Just a thought.