Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groove Tools 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    ok im in rochecter NY right now visiting my friend. yesterday we went to house of guitars-religious expearience- and i played some $650 washburn 6. today we are going to guitar center and hoping they have a GT7 in. my question- the neck on the washburn felt really big for a 6. is the 7 unbearable for someone that plays a MIM fender P?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there.

there's no denying that the neck is wider than what you are used to - i mean, it has 2x the # of strings, almost :D. the spacing at the nut is comparable on a gt7 to a p-bass. see if they have a bill dickens model - the spacing there is tighter, more comparable at the nut to a j-bass.

3. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    L-Dub,

I recently purchased a GT-7 and really like it. The actual neck width is probably thinner than your p (obviously the width across the fretboard is much larger due to the number of strings).

I have pretty short fingers and thought I could never play anything bigger than a 5 string. However, the GT-7 is a very playable bass and I have no trouble handling it. Additionally, it's one of the best value priced exotic basses out there. I think you would find it your main bass in a very short amount of time.

Try one out at your local GC. I think you'll like it.

Best wishes,
    Bones

4. I just went from a 5 to a 7 with much more ease than I thought.

GT Bill Dickens7...

5. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've noticed that the best way to get a good six string bass is to forget it and get a conklin GT-7. It's IMHO better instrument that any six stringer in that price range. I'm not talking about seven stringers because it's quite obvious that there aren't many others available for less than 1000$. I recommend getting one.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    hey guys thanks for the info, and i will go will the GT-7, but is it unbearable to play for hours compared to a 4? JT, i know you went straight from 4 to 7, and was it hard? how long did it take you? thanks guys

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when i went 7, i totally dropped 4 - just put 'em in the closet. it took me a couple of months, but i also went from lined fretless and fretted 4 to unlined fretless 7, so it was a big shock on many levels.

if you have good technique, you should be fine. i've done 3 hour gigs with just the doubleneck before, and while i wouldn't want to make a habit of it, it's doable. just practice and don't be discouraged.

the adjustment period will go quicker, and less painfully, if you are able to just put the 4 away and focus on the 7. don't let external concerns distract you, like band mates saying "what do you have that for" or anything like that. just stick your neck out, focus on the 7, and before you know it, you will be a permanent resident on the darkside. :D.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    *whiny little kid voice on*

aww, mr turner... cant a 4 string be on the dark side too??? :D

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    *emperor voice on*

NO! SURELY YOU CAN SEE THAT YOUR PUNY 4 STRINGS ON THE FOREST MOON ARE NO MATCH FOR THE POWER OF THE 7 STRING DARKSIDE. I'M AFRAID ALL THE 7 STRINGS WILL BE QUITE OPERATIONAL WHEN YOUR REBEL FLEET ARRIVES.

*emperor voice off*

:D

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :eek:

I finally had a chance to play a 7 string Conklin GT a couple of weeks ago. It scared me. I promptly put it back on the stand and ran away screaming.

I think I will stick with 5's and maybe a 6 in the future. I am sure that I could adjust to it in time, but man, that neck is HUGE!!!

So I guess am not gonna be able to cross over to the Dark Side.:(

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Im really thinking of Designing a 7 String to be made by a Luthier that is located in Colombia.

I have yet to see any of his work, but my contact in Colombia says the quality of his work is really at Ken Smith´s , Ken Babense, and many other high end makers level.

I will travel there and see if that is true.

I think will be sometime until I need or have the money for that bass.
    Im still holding because I havent been able to return my Omega Bass 6 to David Pushic for some mods and fixes.

If the GTBD7 would be more widely available and Cheaper, I think I would get one of those.

12. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    If you can play the 6, then the 7 string is an easy pick-up - I have played 6s for years - just moved to the 7 recently, and it was a very natural transition. The extra high F really does open up possibilities. The neck is only very slighty wider.

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Not to scare anyone away, but in all fairness I have to sat that my band has one song in which I have to play a driving 8th note groove down on the E and A strings for like 5 minutes under the (endless!) guitar wanki... er, solos. It is a LOT harder on the GT7 than it was with my Carvin 6 whose string spacing was narrower than the Conk.

But the good news is that it gets easier every gig, so, like almost every other good feeling on the planet, it feels better the more you do it... ;)

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've only got about 3 hours playing time on my new GT7 fretless, just found it yesterday.
    Brought it home & gave her a good work-out, didn't even pay attention to the time. Stood up the whole time, as it turns out. A bit of soreness in the shoulder, but I'll try a Comfort Strapp or a Zon next time in, see what happens. I was pretty oblivious to all external stimuli for a while...
    I did notice that the upper horn puts the bass in just the right position for 1st position ergonomics; very nice, no lengthwise stretches that could be problematic.
    It's fun!

Always liked the darkside better, anywho...
    m

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good for you, congrats on the new bass.

16. It's a shame the GT7 doesn't come strung with a Low F# as standard...

Maybe then string manufacturers would realise that there is a need for .135+ string gauges.:(

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Good point! I'm searching for strings now; the high strings were just too floppy for tuning down, I've had to go with low B for now till I can find a better gauge. Not really crazy about this tuning, hope I can find a set that will let me tune down...
    m

18. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Actually, I used to tune my 6 string with a low F# - however, I found that the tone was very muddy, and I hardly used it, so I changed back to the high C.

19. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I tried one at a local GC and I thought it was awesome sounding and it was fun to play. The floor model has been discounted numerous times, but unfortunately it's probably been beat up a lot because it seems to be the main attraction of the bass room.

20. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    primusdude --

Where's your GC located? Just curious...