Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groove Tools stringage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skavenger, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    I'm back from a trip to conklinguitars.com.. And I have a few questions about stringing. Is it right that the seven string Conklin Groove Tools is tuned from f# to B? Is it possible to get a good sound if you string it from c to F#? Would you be able to hear the low F#? Would it be too dark to hear as a tone and just be a rumble in the air like an 18-wheeler engine?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The standard tuning on the seven-string Groove Tools is BEADGCF. Getting a low F# is an option (not standard), and you would also need a separate nut most likely if you were to have that low F# string on there. Yes, you can hear it (several of JT's Conks have low F#s on them), and yes, it's low. You also need a very powerful amplification system to properly amplify it, with the ability to handle very low frequencies.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    expect to have to search for strings. i get mine direct from dean markley, but that's not an option for a lot of folks.

also expect to have to rebuild your rig. bass rigs generally aren't geared towards reproducing fundamentals that low. i use pa subs - they were cheaper anyway.

the low f# is definitely audible and useful if you have the sound reinforcement for it.

4. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Has anyone got a soundfile containing a seven-string with a low F#? I would most definately like to hear it!

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If I remember correctly, Silverstar had posted a soundclip with the low F# being played. It may not have been him, but someone did post one once.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh, the instrumental in my sig was played with this bass ...

[​IMG]

tuned f#-b-e-a-d-g-c

let me know what you think - there's a section around 9:00 in that has notes doubled on the low f#, but it might not come through too much in this mp3.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Huh, I always thought that Versatile Residue was played with a high F (sure sounds like it in one of your solo passages), John. Learn something new everyday.

8. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    ...I'm speechless.. That has to be the greatest instrumental I've heard! I had to turn the volume on my speakers up really high to hear but I still didn't quite catch the low notes. It was more like a floor-shaking rumble in the subwoofer :). Now I have an idea on how it sounds anyway. Man, I wish I had money.. I'd buy a Conklin so fast..

The instrumental rocked, very nice work John.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks dude, glad you liked it :D

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, them 28 frets come in handy :D

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, in that one solo passage about, i guess 1/3 of the way through the tune you really go from midrange to really hitting the stratosphere...i still love versatile residue....i would like an autographed copy, please sir...ya know, on my puter's less than par speakers, i can tell that you are doubling way down there, but it really doesn't come through. it just sounds really thick/textured

12. I don't really know if this is turning into a Virtue of Residuals (sic) thread, but I personally like the bits at around 5:00 and 10:00 where we get YYZ quotes. You know, Geddy Lee is often mistaken for Steve Lawson, but have John Turner and the Rush bassist ever been seen in the same recording studio? I suspect not...

:D

PS. Nice playing John.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

didn't see that last one before i went to the namm show, thanks :)