Groove Tube 12ax7-M Defective

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joebass, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Joebass

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Replaced my GT ECC 83 with a new GT 12ax7-M in my SWR Bass 750. Sounded really good with one exception, an audible pop/ clicking sound would occasionally come out of my cabs! Took the amp apart, powered it up and wiggled the tube. Yep, repoduced the pop/ click. Put my ECC83 back in and problem was solved!

Damn, a new bad tube! And this is a GT Gold Series ! I'm returning it today as defective and going to try another. Anyone else have a similiar experience? Are these tubes dependable?

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Wiggled and you got a pop/click? OK, I believe you, but that almost sounds more like the socket than the tube......

In any case, if its the tube, I wouldn't worry too much. They should replace it.

Most any manufacturer has a bum part sometime or other. it happens.

I'm not big on GT, I think they have more hype than most, but I'd cut them some slack here. One bum part doen't make for a crummy manufacturer.
  3. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    There is a slight possibility that the new tube has smaller pins on it, and it might not snug up in the socket as well as your old tube. But, if you put the original tube back in and it didn't make noise, it's most likely the tube that's bad. Groove Tube stands behind their products and you'll have no problem getting it replaced.

Love him or not, Aspen Pittman is a genius for his co-invention of the point source stereo speaker, and makes a sincere effort in promoting tube technology like no one else in the business.

Dave Funk
  4. I actually have a 12AX7-M tube in my SWR 750 right now. It's a very good sounding tube, and I have no problems with it. Had it for about a month.