Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groove Tubes Fat Finger? Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Dec 9, 2002.

1. SO have any of you tried out the GT Fat Finger?
    http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1202

Does it work, if it does.. so will probably also an ordinary tool from the hardware store? What do you guys think? No more dead spots? Sustain? Hoax? Will it work at all? :confused:

2. I've seen this before and was wondering the same thing...I guess it's the same concept as a big heavy bridge...adding mass to increase sustain,but it's on the other end..

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    IMHO: The fat finger doesn't remove dead spots- it does move them to another location. The dead spot may show up somewhere new on the neck or it may move the dead spot completely out of range on the bass.

You can get the same effect by holding the headstock against a wall while playing.

The price of the Fatfinger is absurd. Yes a proper weight of any sort on the headstock will have the same effect.

If you can buy it with a money back warrantee and are plagued by dead spots it may be worthwhile. If you buy it expecting great improvements in sustain you may be disappointed.

Pkr2

4. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    I custom made and mounted a 1/16" thick stainless steel plate to the back of the headstock on my Ibanez rg 570 6-string guitar.It made a big difference that could be heard even before I plugged into an amp.It increased volume and sustain noticeably.Brass would be much easier to drill,cut and form to the headstock and should give at least as good of results but is much more expensive.Since the plate gets mounted under the tuners,they don't stick through the headstock as far.This changes the string angle over the nut a little bit.In my case it didn't effect tunability at all.The plate could also be cut to fit around the tuners if it caused tuning problems.I would assume that equal results could be achieved with a bass guitar since adding mass to the headstock cuts down on how much vibration it will absorb,just like holding it to a wall.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I agree, Grinder. A plate such as you describe probably would have the same effect on a bass.

There may be a problem with balance on a bass that wouldn't be a problem on a guitar. The longer neck on a bass MAY contribute to a neck dive problem.

On the other hand the neck dive prob could be overcome by a counter balance weight.

Definitely worth experimenting with.

Pkr2

6. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    I don't think that it's enough weight to effect balance , unless it's already neck heavy.I have used lead weights in control and tremolo cavities before to balance out a neck heavy guitar that didn't have a headstock plate.It seemed to help to some degree with balance but didn't make a noticeable difference with sustain or sound.

7. kinda makes you wonder what a solid steel bass would sound like... the sustain would probably last for days... ohh! my achin back!!

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    GT Electronics used to (or maybe they still do) make a product called a Fat-head that is similar to the custom plate that grinder made, but the Fat-head is made of brass.

9. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    The GT Fathead is where I stole the the idea from.I went with stainless because it cost only $6.00 as apposed to $30.00 for the same size piece of brass.

10. Thumbz

Thumbz Guest

I play a Warwick Thumb 5-string... already neck heavy. I would like to try out either the fat-finger or a custom made plate. I suppose I'll just have to invest in a stand for the headstock when gigging!

Do you think there would be any point in getting a luthier to shave the back of the headstock to accommodate a steel plate without fouling the pegs? This might help to reduce the weight problem too...

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use a fat finger on one of my Jazzes. It moves the dead spot (where you place it has an effect on where the spot moves). Works fine for me.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can add something here, so I'll resurrect the thread...

I just bought two Fat Fingers - one for a new fretted Carvin four-string, the other for a new fretless Carvin four...

The fretless in particular has a nasty dead spot in the usual place - G string, frets 5-7. I'm happy to report that the Fat Finger makes a difference.

I won't claim the instrument sounds like a graphite-neck Zon or Modulus. But the sustain and resonance are markedly improved - for the first time, I have actual mwah where I used to have only thud.

Is it pricey? Sure enough. But is it worth it? For me it is...

MM

P.S. Thus far I seem to get the best results by clamping it right at the end of the headstock - as one might reasonably expect. YMMV...

13. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    FWIW, I've never tried it on a bass, but I experimented with weights clamped to a g****r headstock. I was interested in increasing sustain and "liveliness," not removing dead spots, and it worked quite well. IMO, the Fatfinger is pretty expensive. If you have the ability to machine it, a DIY weight can be made from most anything for well under $10. I prefer something permenantly mounted anyway.

As always, YMMV.