groove tubes fat finger??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etherbass, Oct 5, 2004.

1. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    i hear you put it on your bass headstock, it increases mass therefore increasing sustain, clarity and helps to eliminate dead spots... does anyone know if it works? maybe better recording than live????
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive heard that it just moves the deadspot, most likely to some place that is less noticeable, not noticeable at all.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Lots of discussion on this. Search for Fat Finger in the Misc. forum. Also check out the setup forum and search for Fat Finger there, too -- you'll find a much cooler alternative.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They work, add a bit of mass, adding sustain. Not a huge deal IMO, but it really depends on the bass.
  5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    These work real well on Fenders and Fender style basses, where the deadspot is traditionally at the 5th - 7th fret on the G. It will increase the clarity there and moves the spot towards the headstock, where it is less noticeable. It doesn't eliminate it per se. Every bass is different and these are general results. I have several of them and they are pretty effective IMO. Roger Sadowsky addresses deadspots as a fact of life in Fender style necks - not all of them, but it is not uncommon. See his website for comments. He also feels the Fatfinger is effective.

They are not as effective on multi-piece necks - the spot may move to an even more undesirable location. Again, each neck is different and your mileage can definitely vary. I find them to be very helpful on certain instruments, not so much on others.