Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groove Tubes GT-ECC83S preamp tubes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jugghaid, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Anyone else using these? They're supposed to be great for bass amps and I just ordered a trio for the Trace V6 head.

Any feedback would be great.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Well, sort of... I use an ART LeVelar as a preamp. I replaced the stock tube with the GT. It "seems" hotter and warmer to me.

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thanks. That's a good start. They're supposed to have better bass response and the stock chinese tubs in the Trace are a little harsh for my tastes.

4. ANY other preamp tube for bass will be an improvement over a Chinese 12AX7.

5. Isn't that just a JJ/Tesla tube. The Groove Tube label is kind of meaningless.

6. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'm not sure. But from what I've read these have better bass response.

7. The JJ/Tesla is a good tube, my point is that you probably pay extra for that orange paint.

8. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Oh well. At $18 a tube it's not like it's gonna break me. I'm hoping that it affects the sound like I think it will. I love this amp and if it sounds even better after I'm done retubing it, I may just poop myself. :D

9. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Jugghaid,
    You might want to check GT's newest tube, the 12AX7M. Which is a reproduction of the the classic Mullard 12AX7/ECC83. I haven't tried it yet, but it's been getting rave reviews and retails for around $20.

Here's a link: http://www.groovetubes.com/NAMM2004_04.cfm

Peace

10. The "rave reviews" are mostly GT ads. The few reviews from people experienced with tubes have been lukewarm at best. It's just a Chinese tube that's being marketed using the Mullard name.

You can buy the SAME tube from Ruby:

www.magicparts.com

called the 12AX7B for a lot less than GT.

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
  12. I've got some, but mine are labelled "Mazda." They're a selected Ei 12AX7, which is VERY nice. If you like the Philips 12AX7 (the old JAN 12AX7WA is my fave, BTW), the Ei is the same tube from the SAME factory using the same material, just made with looser QC than Philips had. The selection process weeds out a lot of the microphonic stuff that normally goes out as "regular" Ei's: good stuff.

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

I've tried this tube. A Mullard it's not, but it sounds pretty good anyway. Nice and warm, pretty fat in the lower registers. Completely devoid of the characteristic Mullard "bite" though. If you accept this tube on its own merits, and listen to it that way, it's not a bad 12ax7. Supposedly this tube, even though manufactured in China, is made with vintage tooling. That still says nothing about the quality control, but it might sound a little better than "most" Chinese tubes. The 9th generation tubes sound pretty good too (relatively speaking, again compared to "most" Chinese tubes), but still the rotten quality control. One thing I can say for the 12ax7m is, I haven't seen one blow up yet. Plenty of fireworks to be found in ancient China. :)

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    FIREWORKS! LOL!!!

~S~

15. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Well, I just bought a trio of these as well. I'll see which I like better and keep the other ones for backup.

16. I've had the GT 12AX7M in my SWR for a couple of months now, and while it's surely the best tube I've had (others were GT 12AX7A and a Sovtek 12AX7LP), it maybe lacks a little bite as you said. How do the Ei 12AX7E compare? Psycho Bass Guy?

17. I have not and will not try the GT 12AX7M. My NOS an better quality current production stock is more than sufficient. If I do want to try it, I'll just order the 12AX7B from Ruby which is the same tube for half the price. I do NOT buy GT products.

18. Ok, fair enough - but could you describe the caracteristics of the Ei 12AX7E then? Or could you recommend a tube (current production) that is warm and punchy and yet clear sounding?

19. The Ei is a "low rent" version of the JAN Philips 12AX7WA. It's a bit noisier, not much, but more nonetheless, and tonally a little brighter. It's MUCH more smooth sounding than Sovtek/EH tubes, but not as dark as a JJ. Ei's biggest problem is microphony and the selected ones tend to weed them out. They're easily the best sounding bass preamp tube currently being made.

20. Thanks alot :) I think I'll try one of those.