Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groove Tubes "The Brick" before or after preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jburtonca, May 7, 2005.

1. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I"m considering the purchase of a Groove Tubes "The Brick" all-tube DI/preamp.

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2084

I want to use "The Brick" with a Stewart World 1.2 an Acme B-2 and a number of preamps including a Yamaha PB-1, Bass Pod and a Raven Labs PHA-1. Is it better to use "The Brick" before or after these preamps? The Groove Tubes website suggests using it after the preamp, but I read here on TalkBass that it's better to have the bass going directly into the tube gain stage. The bass I'll be using is a Hamer 2-TEK Cruise with EMG JV pickups and a John East U-Retro. The Hamer is using an 18 volt power supply and can easily over-load the input of most preamps. Any advice?

Jeff

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    And does it have a boosted 1/4 line out that I can run directly to my power amp?? Does anybody use one as a stand alone preamp?? :confused:

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I've had good success with the tube pre after the other device (just before the amp input). Specifically, I'm using an SABDDI into an ART Tube Pac (similar specs to the Brick but with a tube compressor on board), then into the amp.

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

Based on the specs, I'd have to say yes to the question about using it as a stand alone preamp-- there'd be little to no coloration, no eq, or anything but just plain, transaprent gain. If that's what you're after, the Brick would probably be a good one. It as a 12at7 and a 12ax7 operating in cascade.

The 1/4 line out question-- unless I'm mistaken, it appears there isn't one. It looks like the Brick has a 1/4 input, an uneffected 1/4 output (labeled "instr thru"), an xlr input, and an effected xlr output.

Heres' a copy of the specs:

Groove Tubes The Brick Features:

+55dB of tube gain to any studio mic.
    Unique rugged steel package and special internal construction.
    3 internal tubes and massive custom output transformer can drive a signal 100's of feet with no loss.
    Accepts unbalanced line or instrument level signal and output a balanced signal. Capable of amplifying up to +30dB.
    Utilise the Brick as a neutral D.I. or as a preamplifier.
    Gain up to +30dB.
    The Brick will pre-amplify any line or instrument signals directly into a +4 or -10 Line input stage of your mixer or recorder.
    High Impedance for use with Electric Guitar Electro-Acoustic Guitar Piezo-electric Pickups Electric Bass Electronic Keyboard Electronic Synthesizer.
    LIne Level Signals Output Level Nominal +4 dBm Maximum +16 dBm terminated at 600 Ohms.
    Signal Ground Lift.
    Gain Control.
    On/Off switch External fuse holder.
    Dynamic Range 118 dB.
    Phantom Power +48 volts.
    Primary input voltage is Internally selectable between 120v and 240v 50-60 Hertz.
    FUSE 1 Amp @ 120 volts 1/2 Amp @ 240 volts.