Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groove

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Mar 17, 2006.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hey everyone..

For a while I've been studying Walking Basslines in Jazz and have been trying to learn some and also make some myself. But in the meantime I've realized something: I don't want to learn how to construct walking jazz basslines (not now at least). I wanna groove! To me, Walking Jazz lines are very boring.. Whereas some funk grooves are really dynamic and just flow alot better (in my opinion).

So my question is. Can anyone give me some good funk or even bluesy bands/songs to listen to for some good grooves? And can anyone give me any tips or resources on how to make my own groovy bass lines..

Thanks Guys! :bassist:

2. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    Ooo, do I get to be first? I know you'll get lots of great suggestions, but allow me to introduce you to: The Meters. George Porter Jr. and Zigaboo Modeliste (bass and drums) are one of the great funk rhythm sections. I defy you to sit still when you listen to one of their tracks.

Enjoy!
    Chasfr

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Standing In The Shadows of Motown-Book on Jamerson/Motown

Rhythm Masters-James Brown book with bass, guitar, & drum parts charted out.

Funkifying The Clave For Drums & Bass-Lincoln Goines/Robbie Ameen

All the above comes with CDs.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Walking bass + syncopation = groove city.

5. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    parliament

6. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    +1 for Parliament

Also check out Lettuce if you're coming from the Jazz world...they're all the best young Jazz/Funk players (Eric Krasno & Sam Kininger from Soulive, Adam Deitch (John Scofields band), etc.)