Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groove

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mz91, May 13, 2002.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    If i were to look through a Bass Dictionary under the word "Groove". What songs do you think are worthy to be listed as examples of pure...well..."Groove":p

2. "If You Want Me To Stay" by Sly & The Family Stone, probably only because I happen to be listening to it now, but hey, Larry Graham is the man.

3. Actually, Larry Graham left the band just before the recording of that album (Fresh). Rusty Allen plays bass on that song, if I'm not mistaken. Even though Larry Graham doesn't play on Fresh, I would highly recommend that whole album anyway. The album is one long groove.:)

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Listen to Tower Of Power or some Motown stuff!:)

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Anything with Chuck Rainy, Jerry Jermont & Tommy Cogbill would probably be a good course in groove 101.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, it is a very different style of "groove" than mentioned previously, but I think almost anything played in the Blues Brothers movies represents a heck of a groove. The bass player to thank for his contribution is Duck Dunn.

Another great groove is that you will experience at any typical B.B.King concert.

Yet another variation of a terrific groove is the Allman Brothers.

7. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Listen to some Led Zepplin: JPJ and Bonham are incredible.

Hutch Hutchison (sp?) with Bonnie Raitt.

Check out Soul Coughing too.

8. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    I second the Motown recommendation - James Jamerson was IMO as responsible as anyone for what became the Motown/funk sound. Its hard to hear him on a lot of the early stuff, but you can hear him groove on some of the Temptations cuts as well as the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, and Stevie Wonder's stuff. He's the real deal.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Rock Steady,by Aretha Franklin with Chuck Rainy on Bass.To many to truly mention

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You might want to check out different grooves. When I lived in Brazil, I came to have tremendous respect for the carnival samba bands. There is no groove quite like that on Earth. Thinking of that reminds me, too, of salsa. And that naturally leads me to reggae. Check out Steel Pulse for fabulous reggae grooves.

11. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Kid Charlemagne- Steely Dan(Chuck Rainey)
    Could you be loved- Bob Marley(Family Man Barrett)
    Chocolate City-P Funk(Bootsy)
    Black Market-Weather Report(Jaco)
    So What-Miles Davis(Mr. P.C.)
    One world-The Police(Sting)
    I'll take you there-The Staples Singers(David Hood)
    Get ready-The Temptations(James Jamerson)
    After looking at my list, I guess my definition of "Groove" is a repetetive bassline, not too many notes, that you can SHAKE YOUR BOOTY TO!

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Kid Charlemagne- Steely Dan(Chuck Rainey)
    Could you be loved- Bob Marley(Family Man Barrett)
    Chocolate City-P Funk(Bootsy)
    Black Market-Weather Report(Jaco)
    So What-Miles Davis(Mr. P.C.)
    One world-The Police(Sting)
    I'll take you there-The Staples Singers(David Hood)
    Get ready-The Temptations(James Jamerson)
    After looking at my list, I guess my definition of "Groove" is a mid tempo repetetive bassline, not too many notes, that you can SHAKE YOUR BOOTY TO!

13. Groove Is in The Heart

14. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    Thats a good way to put it, a lot of the "grooves" I like are relatively simple, not real fast, and easy to move with.

15. Francis "Rocco" Prestia, the bassist for Tower Of Power defines groove something like this:

"imagine a window, then throw a brick through that window. You just broke the groove."

it was somehow like this. (on the Bass Day '98 video tape)

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Groove is not how many notes you can play, it's How you play them and where you play them;)

Check out anything pre 70's from James Brown,
    Aretha is awesome any of the old Staxx recordings.
    Ottis Redding, Wilson Pickett, the list goes on and on.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Mountain Jam and Elizabeth Reed by the Allmans. Berry Oakley bled "groove".

Another good one - "Mike's Song" by Phish. Mike Gordon's groove during the jam COMPLETELY makes that song!

18. Groove would deffinetley be defined by Jamiroquai's "high times", and James Brown's "the boss." I can put either one of those on and immediatley feel the groove.