Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grooves in fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got my Hohner B2ADB headless about a month and a half ago, and today i noticed that under the E string, at frets 3-5 , the fingerboard has string groove indents in it. They arent deep or anything, just i was wondering if this is normal, and if it will get a lot worse.

2. If you see the term "fret wear" in ads for used instruments, that's what they're referring to. You can minimize it by using flats or nickel strings but it is the inevitable result of metal wearing on metal.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought fret wear was on the frets... not the fingerboard.

4. Sorry, I misread your post (...red faced from embarassment). In theory, on a fretted instrument, your strings don't touch the fretboard...just the frets. In real life, your strings will often touch the fretboard causing weat...unless you play with a very soft hand.

5. thats normal when u play the e-string (1 - 5 fret) with to much pressure u will get some indents in the fretboard. thats almost on every used bass ive seen...........

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Too much pressue you say? Hmmph, actually, i just think its bc i have a habit of pulling down (bending the string slightly) on the string when i play, and thats why the marks are slightly inbetween the E and A string. Maybe i should concentrate on pressing straight down more, and ug,, less hard.

7. try to press the string near the fret and not on half way between the frets.....

play it like u would play an fretless..........