1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Groovin' How do you get the bass to sound like this!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cougar, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Cougar

Cougar

Feb 15, 2014

Hey Guys,

Check out this awesome groove. How does he get the bass sounding so funky!?!

Cougar

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Practice.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Darn, and here I thought it was just a matter of buying the right gear!!! :woot::smug:;)

4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Technique and feel... this guy has a great staccato fingerstyle technique and he understands how to use it. He inserts passing tones and chromatic phrases in the right places. These are transitional notes that may or may not even be in key but create tension that causes the listener to anticipate the note he's leading to.

And yes, you can't get there without practice! Listen to and transpose as much funky stuff as you can. Start simple and work up to the heavy stuff. Don't assume it's gonna be easy.

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    A few other things he's doing not mentioned yet. He has a very solid understanding of the sixteenth note subdivisions. He's also exercising absolute control over volume and the length of each note. Hes using a lot of muting to stop the sound of the notes ringing except when he absolutely wants it to go longer. He has absolute control of the dynamics , in other words.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah - took me a long time to realize that good muting and note length control and repeatability is crucial to the groove.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    @mambo4 nailed it: It's all about subdividing the 16th note groove.

Ekulati, HolmeBass and Chrome Dome like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

chops.

MynameisMe, MonetBass, Rezdog and 3 others like this.
  9. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The jazz bass and the fridge do contribute to the funk.

10. Very staccato, beautifully funky. His rhythmic pattern is VERY similar to what a conga drum player might do. This guy is working his ass off. Tight lines! In my opinion JJ was into those conga patterns as well. Nice stuff!!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Chickenwheels and MonetBass like this.
  11. Great bass players can play a single string on a wash tub and make it sound like that.

Gear actually doesn't matter - it makes life easier, and might give you an edge over others in your tone, but playing matters most. Any old bass is fine to own to become the world's greatest bassist on - it's a matter of technique.

I'm really impressed with the analysis in this thread of his techniques - that stuff should really help the OP out!

Talkbass is awesome :)

12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    like I always say: its not just one thing......this is a combination of "tone is in the fingers" and knowing your equipment...…..he is a very staccato player with excellent delivery

don't understate gear: if he was playing an EB-0 with tapewounds, he will project the feel and groove of himself but sound much different

NoSlapForYou, Ekulati and Chrome Dome like this.
  13. He has a ton of great instructional content on Youtube, I've been a fan of his stuff for a long time. Honestly he's the best 'unknown' player I've run across on Youtube.

14. nbsipics

nbsipics Unstuck in Time Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    A feel for the beat of the song.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  15. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    @mambo4 & @Mushroo - I'd love to understand more about this please. Any references for learning more?

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Growly tone dialed in, as other were saying he is using lot of tight muting and staccato playing. For a while I explored this type of playing for a hip hop band I was in and enjoyed it (coming out of playing prog metal for like 10 yrs, where I'd use a percussive noisy style, sans the tight muting).

17. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    the effect of his technique, as so well noted above: he's playing a lot of notes but not taking up a lot of space in the song. And that is badass.

18. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    What’s his name?

Matthew_84 likes this.
  19. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    like I said above, he is a staccato player....most of his note values are chopped or clipped, which makes them shorter and punchier (i.e. using 32 note duration or dotted 32 note durations where a 16th note should be - that's the analytical part)....however, when he plays, hes not analyzing any of this or thinking "Im playing x-note values here": he's just feeling it and playing and his feel is for shorter choppier notes which adds more percussiveness.....there are techniques to do some of this, like hammering down on the note to pluck, but that's all feel and cant really be taught -- its something a player will naturally do as their approach goes more staccato

20. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    His picture appeared in the upper right corner, and seems to be a link to his channel. Anthony Muthuraja

Nashrakh and DJ Bebop like this.