1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Groovin' I need some help.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cammy511, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I would like to improve my groove and sense of time. My problem is, I have no drummer to play with. What are your suggestions? :bag:

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Find yourself a drummer! In the meantime, try playing along with some Reggae.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Get a metronome for starters.

4. There's no better way to learn this than by doing it, with good musicians. And those musicians may be on recordings you already have. Just jam with them, so sayeth Victor Wooten, who, most agree, can groove pretty well.

5. Your CD's or mp3's make good play-a-long jamming tracks. All you need is what key they are in, and a guess at what chord progression is being used. If you need help with that just ask, it's really not that hard to figure out.

Song videos are all over the Internet. Find some you like and see what you can do with them.

Have fun.

6. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    This:

http://www.korg.com/victorwooten

The key here is that this should only be applied to music you already know how to play. Don't ever fire up the metronome for things you can not do yet, it will serve no purpose other then to interrupt the learning process. (I agree with Berlin on this point) Having said that, practicing grooves, melodies, and soloing you are comfortable with using the above method will call your attention to any areas where you may be rushing or dragging against the tempo.
    As a side note, any song or phrase that you run with this method should be at a range of tempos above and below where it is "normally" played. If you are solid on a tune normally played @ 90 BPM and the band leader counts it out @ 80 you will tend to rush if you have only ever practiced @ 90. I usually shoot for +/- 20 BPM from the original tempo when working up a song to be comfortable. Slow ballads are the toughest, lots of space to loose track of the subdivisions.
    Remember it is not the drummers job to spoon feed you the time. It's everyone's job in the band to be aware of it and nurture the groove. If the drummer is just dragging everyone along or pulling people back the band will not groove as hard as when everyone is in the collective pocket.

Mike

7. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Great post. Truth!

8. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Good advice here.

I would add that sometimes, even though you are technically playing with correct time it still doesn't feel right. In cases like this pay extra attention to overall dynamics, attack, and length of your notes