Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groovin' on Garrisson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lenko, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    I just bought Zawinul's album My People; Garrisson's playing is so in the pocket. His Fodera sound is sooo great; really punchy, clear and growly.:bassist:
    Has anyone heard that album?

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Haven't heard that one yet, but if you dig Matt, don't miss his solo CD. Really some great playing and tunes. His harmonic concept is interesting as well, a lot of whole tone root movement and augmented maj 7th sounds.
    LM

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A must-have for any Garrison fan-

Herbie's Future2Future DVD...that's DVD(NOT the cd)!

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Matt's the best! I took a lesson with him a few months back and he changed my whole way of being. Just sitting in the room with him and listening to him play was enough to change your whole way of thinking. He's also one of the nicest people I've met; very giving. He even remembered me when I saw him a couple months later in Switzerland! Great guy!

DEFINATELY get his solo cd!!! It is a must. I don't like bass player's albums but this is simply a beautiful album from a great musician and composer. He comes from the Wayne Shorter school of thought where you compose a simple melody over complex harmonies. He loves melodic minor (mmmmm...minor/major....). It really gives this dark, spacey quality to the music. He also loves Indian music. Oh yeah, the other musicians aren't half bad either.;)

This guy is the future of the bass. If you like Matt, make sure you also own John Mclaughlin's Que Alegria album with Dominique Dipiazza. Matt agreed that Dominique is the best player out there. He deserves much greater recognition.

5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    dipiazza rulez!! but i don't like his tone too much. I have this record called front page (biréli lagréne) wich is really cool, it also features dennis chambers.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dominique 0wnz!!!!

I had to good fortune of seeing him live with the John McLaughlin Trio in 92 or so. For 2.50$!!!!!
    I sat 3 meters away from them and it was smoking!!!

I'll never forget that. He looks completely innocent, like a bank accountant - but then... :p

He floors ANYONE!!!

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I couldn't agree more (along with LM's reccomendation of the solo disc.)

Matt G. is by far my favorite bassist. Check him out on John McLaughlin's "The Heart of Things - Live in Paris."

8. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    So, I just orderd Future2Future and Matt's solo CD. I should be getting them soon (at least I hope so). Garrison's CD is kinda expensive - 20$.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $20 well spent! Probably the best $20 you've ever spent.

Did you order the future2future video? Matt's not on the cd.

10. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    I oredered the DVD; well, I'm not sure if $20 I spent for the CD is the best $20 I've ever spent; we had this GREAT weed from Amsterdam last week...;)
    Just jokin'...it was good, but I'm really looking forward to the CD and the DVD.:D

11. another great guy that nobody has seemed to heard of that has some similarities to Garrison is a cat named Tony Grey. He has played with McLaughlin,Berklee grad, and took lessons from Squarepusher. Watch out for this guy, he can do the 4 finger thing and some really interesting use of effects. I saw him play with Fuze(guitarist, and one of my favorite musicians) www.torsos.com and it was one of the better shows I have seen by anyone. Got to see it for free not to mention. He plays a Fodera as well. He gave me is website, it is mostly under construction. http://www.tonygrey.com/

(he says their is going to be project with him, McLaughlin and a mr Jenkinson) :)

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tony Grey is John Mclaughlin's nephew. I met him when he first started Berklee. Good player. He's just starting with the four finger thing.

13. I did'nt know he was McLaughlin's nephew. That is pretty cool. You have to hear him with Fuze. He is doing some insane things.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    moved to recordings because it seems like its more on the topic of his recordings rather than him as a bassist.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    does matt play on the whole album or just a few songs???? i have been wanting to get this album

16. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Matt is playing on the whole album.

17. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Do you know what kind of amp is Matt using in the Future2Future DVD???
    All I can see is a Epiphani cab!

I just love his sound (I know that a lot of that comes from that wonderful Fodera Bass...).

Thanks!