Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groovin?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 27, 2006.

1. I'am not sure where to place this, but here goes. I've think I been experiencing some grooves latly, during my Practicing I am finding my self self making nice sounds almost to the point of a groove, and my body is starting to dance along when I am playing. But my question is this? I cant have grioove for only having bass for 4 months can I?

2. anyone? also I have a question about plugged ears? What do you guys & gals do when you have plugged ears and don not want to pay the ear and throught docter to clean them out? thats how bad I have mine right now, about 1 more month and I will need to go to the docters and go get my ears cleaned out, Yes I have tried Q-tips, but they pack it in more.

3. Nope. No way you can groove after four months with ears full of wax.....:)

Yes, it is possible to groove... and more importantly, you should go to the drugstore to get some earwax-removal solution(yuck!)

BTW, did your ears fill up in between your two posts on here? :p

4. LOL what did you say?, I could'nt hear you hehe, seriously though no my ears does this like every 6-8 months, and I'm getting real sick of it, I have to pay like $44 dollars each visit, it sucks man.

5. I don't know exactly how to answer that question but here we go.

I guess if you were a natural at music, you would have groove. One of the things that would keep you from playing a groove would be technique, so after some time on the bass you should be able to get that groove from your head or how you hear what you want to play and put it to your bass and play that groove.

Of course there is more to it than that but I guess that would be a simplified answer.

It's also possible that you simply are improving to the point that what you are jamming on is starting to make sense and you have some direction. By that I mean you are thinking about what you are going to play next and therefor making a groove.

If your starting to dance to what you are playing it's a good indication. It also could just be a muscle spasm. :D

The ear thing, sorry I have no experience with that. Do you have wet-dry vac. :D
    Please don't try that, you may suck out more than just the wax.

6. I've also noticed that my practice sessions are getting longer each time, and I've been search for my tone, Btw is it all right to barrow a right hand techque? I liek how Donald Duck Dunn plays, and kind of want to barrow his techque, But I have my own left hand techque too, what do you guys & gals think?

7. Our practice sessions last about 5 hours, of those 5 we have maybe a 1/2 an hour of actual practice. The rest of the time we jam. I always search for a good tone, sometimes I'll play the root and let it ring while I fiddle with knobs. Usually the guitarist and the drummer keep going.

8. Do whatever comes natural.....Substitute "borrow" for "influence"

Almost everybody "borrows" something from someone else.....that's how we progress sometimes..

9. True true, next time you're watching the movie blues brothers, watch his right hand "fingerstyle" its freaky awsome like.

10. how do you guys keep from getting Untired while practicng/jaming for that long?

11. Yea, absolutely. It's not really borrowing his technique as much as it is learning his style. Something everyone does when they find a new or new to them player. Duck is one of my favorites.

Are you checking out some of the Blues Brothers stuff?

After a few years of playing and learning different technique from different players and throwing in your own thing is what makes your style, your style.

12. Chuck I'am one of the biggest fans you will proble ever meet, and yes I've been watching the movie latly and lisiting to the songs, thats how I was able to play peter guns theme song with out seeing tabs or notes, Btw did you see the bassist in the scene where they went to church? It looked like it was some kind of scale he was playing but Hella FAST.

13. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    This response is for your ear problem.

Go to a health food store and pick up what is called "Ear Candles" - ask somebody if you can't find it. They're cheap - about $2 apiece. There are directions on the package, but you will need a helper since it involves sticking something in your ear and lighting it. Make sure you use a pie tin or piece of cardboard to stick it through.

My son had this problem, and it cleared his ears. You might have to do it more than once. It works by sucking the wax up into the ear candle as it burns down. Really cool stuff!!!

You might hear a crackling noise while the candle burns - that it normal. Good luck!

14. Thank you for the reply, Yes I'm used to the craclking noise, when the ear wax builds up thats what it makes, and then I know it is time to have them done, Btw I thought only mid wifes where allowed to do the ear wax removing? other then the docter of corse?

15. It's been a long time since I sat down and watched the whole movie. I am going to have to pick up the DVD one of these days.

If you like the movie, go and pick up some of the Blues Brothers cd's. Duck Dunn and Steve Jordan are one hell of a rhythm section. Also do you're self a favor and pick up some Booker T and the MG's. Great stuff!

16. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    No, anybody can do the "Ear Candles". Just make sure somebody is there to help you.

17. I like to correct you Sir, its Steve Cropper, and not Steve Jordan, btw I have Otis redding & booker T & the mg's mp3's, and all of the blues brothers cd's, and I have the 1:118th dicast copcarthe dodge 1974 monico, plus other great memerbilla, what I'm looking for right now how ever is an "ACTULE MUSIC POSTER" the yellow ones with the blues brothers faces on it, where the little kid asked to put up the poster in the soul food cafe? I want one of those so fricking bad.

18. Then how come I know that the song from Booker T and the MG'S "I'm king bee" started it all, and that I know allmost all the casts members by heart?

Btw Chunk you proble didnt even know this, but the driver of the wina bago was a very famiuos voice in the transformers, and in the starwars movies, Guess who it was? :).

19. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Steve Jordan was the drummer and Steve Cropper was one of the Guitarists. Also "Im a King bee" is and original by Booker T & The MG's . they covered it but its one of those 1920's/30's older blues songs