1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grooving w/o drums

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by wyliee, Jun 2, 2005.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Hi Mike,

I just started working with a country/folk/acoustic artist. Right now, the band is just the vocalist/acoustic guitarist and another guy doing electric GTR, acoustic GTR and mandolin. That leaves me holding down rhythm and the low end. It's a great opportunity and the artist is getting some local airplay.

Some songs have a walking line or a pretty strong two feel that's easier to imply an ongoing pulse. Others are a little more sparse. Any suggestions on keeping the songs moving along?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    When I teach, I talk about rhythmic anticipation. This is about creating a rhythm that keeps a sense of movement. In this case you want to create rhythmic figures that set up the next downbeat. Try adding an eighth or 16th note prior to the 1 (or chord change) to "anticipate" the rhythm.

Does this help
    Mike

3. Also, add ghost notes(listen to Tower Of Power drummer Dave Garribaldi's snare work)if possible/appropriate in what you'll be playing. As a last resort, imagine that you had previously been working with a really awful drummer, and he just quit. ;)