Grooving w/o drums

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by wyliee, Jun 2, 2005.

1. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Hi Mike,

I just started working with a country/folk/acoustic artist. Right now, the band is just the vocalist/acoustic guitarist and another guy doing electric GTR, acoustic GTR and mandolin. That leaves me holding down rhythm and the low end. It's a great opportunity and the artist is getting some local airplay.

Some songs have a walking line or a pretty strong two feel that's easier to imply an ongoing pulse. Others are a little more sparse. Any suggestions on keeping the songs moving along?
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    When I teach, I talk about rhythmic anticipation. This is about creating a rhythm that keeps a sense of movement. In this case you want to create rhythmic figures that set up the next downbeat. Try adding an eighth or 16th note prior to the 1 (or chord change) to "anticipate" the rhythm.

Does this help
  3. Also, add ghost notes(listen to Tower Of Power drummer Dave Garribaldi's snare work)if possible/appropriate in what you'll be playing. As a last resort, imagine that you had previously been working with a really awful drummer, and he just quit. ;)