Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, May 3, 2001.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How do you define the groove? Also, do you employ certain methods in your own playing to lock into a groove?
  2. The groove, to me, is that place where the rhythm instruments come together, locking with each other and bouncing off each other to create the feel that makes people move!
    In my own playing, I've found the thing that really makes for a good groove is playing short notes, and less of them.
  3. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    depends what kind of groove you're after for a song, y'know .. like, locking in squarely with the kick drum using low notes on the B or E string would give you a real heavy, thumping rhythm.
    on the other side of the groove picket fense, playing quarter notes to the hi-hat would be well on the way to creating a jazzy sorta groove :D
  4. My band does 95% free-form improv. We are a trio (B,D,G & sometimes a 2nd G), and I have to make the bridge between the drums and guitar. It's my job to keep both the rhythm and key together. Not always an easy task when a tune may move from jazz to country to funk to carnival sounds...

I often will lay down a quick pattern, loop it, and then can build on it from there. But I also have to pay attention that things are not changing too quickly. My groove has to be very mobile since there is usually lots going on. I tend to use the loop for a rhythm bass, and "lead" over it.

But damn, it sure is fun!
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When the band congeals as a whole, and the people in the pit (or concert hall, depending on your style) start moving in a frenzy, but to the rythem, so that the rhythm makes people move, even if it is against their will:D Imagine a whole staduim, jumping up and down in sychronicity, to the music. That's groove baby. Can you dig it?
  6. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Love the signature Brendan :)
  7. Imagine a window, someone throws a brick into that window, he just broke the groove! - Francis "Rocco" Prestia.

What Dave Siff said is pretty much what I think about the "groove"

8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you know you're in the groove when you cannot help but make the Funky Face™.

you know, when your neck and face scrunch up in an almost painful looking manner, and your head bobs up and down - or side to side.

i don't think there's a picture of me playing bass that i'm not wearing the Funky Face™ :D

9. I know what you mean! :)