Grossness inside

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Feb 29, 2004.

1. From ALLAN HALL
    in Berlin

A MAN who lived in his own “zoo” of lizards and insects was fatally bitten by a pet black widow spider — then eaten by the other creepy-crawlies.
    Police broke in to Mark Voegel’s apartment to find spider Bettina along with 200 others, several snakes, a gecko lizard called Helmut and several thousand termites had gorged on his body.

Neighbours alerted police after becoming alarmed by the stink.

And horrified officers were met by a nightmare scene.
    A police spokesman said: “It was like a horror movie. His corpse was over the sofa.

“Giant webs draped him, spiders were all over him. They were coming out of his nose and his mouth.

“There was everything there one could imagine in the world of reptiles.

“Larger pieces of flesh torn off by the lizards were scooped up and taken back to the webs of tarantulas and other bird-eating spiders.”

Loner Voegel, 30, never invited people back to his “jungle” home, a small apartment in the German city of Dortmund.

Police described it as a cross between a botanical garden and the butterfly breeding ground in the serial killer movie The Silence Of The Lambs.

One tarantula had built a nest the size of a swallow’s in a corner of the ceiling.

Voegel also had a boa constrictor and several poisonous frogs from South America.

Spider expert and animal cruelty officer Gabi Bayer said he kept creatures “that should never be allowed in a private home”.

She said: “He had spiders so aggressive they are the equivalent of a pit-bull in the animal world.”

The reptiles were allowed to roam free in the flat.

The heating elements on two tanks containing spiders and their termite snacks had exploded and dislodged the metal tops allowing them to escape.

Voegel is thought to have been dead for between seven and 14 days.

A post-mortem will be carried out in the next few days. But authorities believe Bettina alone was responsible for Voegel’s death.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Dude that is some of the sickest stuff I ever heard, but that dude had it coming. What a dumb guy. :(
  4. Another fine example of human intelligence.

One less idiot given the chance to reproduce.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Life is tough all over!
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Im glad I didn't just eat.
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I call hooey on the story. Spiders, lizards and snakes don't tend to be scavenger types who would pick over a dead body. There may be exceptions, but I'd say this is pretty much just tabloid tripe...

8. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Definatly. The Sun is not a newspaper.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So, The Sun is the UK version of The National Enquirer?

That rag often has stories about half-wolf half-bat babies feeding Saddam Hussein, and stealing US military intelligence through ESP....on the cover no less!

10. darn, it would have been cool if it was true.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Good call.

I think the snakes shoulda been a dead give away sonsidering they really dont have any way to chew and swallow their prey whole.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, yeah, termites eat the body. after all, once you die your body converts immediately into the cellulose that the symbiotes within the termite's bodies need to survive, which in turn feed the termites themselves. :hyper: :rolleyes:

13. Yeah, i was thinking Darwin award.
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The Sun is not a reliable news source for anything, except reporting sightings of flying saucers and the Loch Ness monster.
  15. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Wouldn't the equivalent of a pit-bull in the animal world be a pit-bull? Arn't pit-bulls dogs? I mean a dog is a resident of the "animal" world... correct?
  16. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    The other thing is, black widows bite hundreds of people every year. And they usually just go to the hospital. The only spider I know about that is aggressive and has a quick acting neurotoxin is a funnel web spider. Although there's some other kind of Aussie or Kiwi spider that's like their version of a brown recluse, only about a zillion times more poisonous. They had some kind of NATURE special on the poisonous critters of down under and interviewed a couple of folks that were revived after having been pronounced dead on teh scene by paramedics. They said it was almost liek being in a coma, except they were still aware and could see and hear. They just couldn't react to anything. And their autonmomous systems were repressed to the point that they seemed to not be breathing, no pulse etc. It wasn't until they got to the hospital and got hooked up that doctors noticed brain wave activity and tried to revive them.

But yeah, this just didn't sound believable from the beginning.
  17. Even though I highly doubt that this is true, I'm still sticking to goldfish and guinea pigs.
  18. New Zealand doesn't have poisonous spiders or snakes. Was it the Redback that they mentioned? Bloody things are everywhere...ain't that bad, though. Last time I was in hospital (for a Rugby injury), a guy came in with a bite from one. They sent him home with an ice-pack and told him to come back if things got worse. Most of the stuff you hear about our critters are exaggerations. Yes, they CAN be bad, some can be fatal, without a doubt, but I can't remember the last time I saw anything remotely dangerous, apart from a Redback.

Regarding the original post, anything is possible. I'm sure everone's heard the story of the tarantulas bursting out of the cactii after someone had brought them home from Mexico. Thankfully we have nothing like that over here.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The tarantula/cactus thing isn't true.