1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Groucho and Woody Allen visit Roger Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve9000gi, Feb 25, 2008.

1. You know that old saying, I guess attrbuted originally to Groucho but famously repeated by Woody Allen: "I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member"? Well, this isn't that, but somehow it seems related, and most importantly, you're reading my post. Now on to the real issue.

There's a Metro bass on the Sadowsky website -- http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/m1923.html -- and I've got serious GAS over it. I've been in touch with Kevin about putting in single coils and with that it's just about exactly what I've been dreaming about.

But here's what's holding me back: why hasn't it already been snapped up by someone else? I don't have an opportunity right now to go to the shop and play it myself, and I've got a Sadowsky NYC Modern that I love that I bought sight-unseen, ears-unheard, and hands-unplayed, so that's not it. I just keep thinking that it's still available because it's just one of those that didn't quite come out with the standard Sadowsky mojo (there's going to be the occasional mutant, right?), and that's why it's still unbought: that it's sitting in the shop after having been played and passed over by everyone who's been through there. I know everybody has to make his/her own decision, but I guess I think that there are some qualities in an instrument that a lot of people are going to react to the same way I would, and that's what's holding me back. And yeah, I know there's a 7-day return policy, but I want to maximize the probability that if I have a bass shipped to me I'm going to keep it.

Has anyone played this bass? Why is it still there? In all my acknowledged idiocy I throw myself on the mercy of my fellow Talkbass denizens.

-Steve

2. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Why don't you see it the other way around, It hasn't been sold because it is waiting for you, and has been all along. :smug:

I think that way not only in basses, but everything else and believe me it works

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Funny post. When the UV metros came out a couple years back, I had a similar experience. A Geddy Lee like black 4 string sat unpurchased for a few weeks. I had the same type of thoughts running thru my mind. Finally got my head out of my a$$ and drove to Brooklyn. It killed!! Awesome neck, tone, 8.8lbs. Bought it. Story over.

Buy it, play it, love it

Rob

4. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    If the serial numbers are assigned according to manufacturing date, this one's been up there a lot longer:
    http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/m1345.html
    and the one you're interested in isn't that much older than the others.
    It's just being aged a bit. By hanging around the shop longer, it's acquiring even *more* Sadowsky-ness.

Like Rob says, buy it, play it, love it.