Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ground buzz when I touch neck pup poles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ghindman, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    I did a search but nothing obvious popped up. I just finished shielding the crap out of my MIJ Jazz, and wiring in the parallel/serial mod using this wiring diagram and a push/pull tone pot:

[​IMG]

Now, when the bass is sitting, hands off, whisper quiet. Playing, whisper quiet. Both pickups are sending signal with roughly the same relative volume. The push-pull parallel/serial function is working as expected.

But, if I put a finger on the neck pickup, I get a nasty ground hum. If I then touch the strings, or bridge, the buzz goes away. The bridge pickup does not do this.

I corrected a potentially bad solder on the ground, and that did not change anything. I would think if it were a bad pot, I'd be having some volume issues from that pickup, as well.

Ideas? I don't have a multimeter handy, so that suggestion isn't going to do me any good until at least tomorrow.

thanks

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    try a differant amp, and try your amp with a differant bass.

I have the completely opposite problem. i DONT get a buzz when im touching my pickups

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I had the same problem as thedonutman, loud buzz when not touching anything, then buzz went away when I touched the pots. I opened everything up, checked all soldering - everything was fine. In the end, I noticed the pots werent screwed on tightly on the bridge, I tightened them and the buzz went away.

I suggest you check your pups and make sure they're on tight, could solve your problem.

4. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Donutman, your situation is fairly typical for a Jazz, especially a MIM, and actually that was what I was correcting with the shielding on my MIJ. When you touch the pickups/strings/bridge in a poorly grounded system, you become the dominant ground in the circuit and provide shielding to the system.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I dont think its my bass, since its fine with other amps in differant places.

So its either the circuits in my house, or my amp

6. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    well, it's both.

With a poorly shielded bass, it'll pick up more noise when it's in a dirty environment.