Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ground buzzzz.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jan 28, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I just got my bass today, it was second hand. a standard mexican jazz bass.

it seems to buzz when im not playing and it clicks if i touch a string or machine head, or control plate or bridge. Ive checked the wiring and the wire going to the bridge is secure. it only does it with volume on amp and bass, doesent do it as much with tone turned down. also i took it to a guitar shop and they didnt seem to have any problems, they said it might be my amp signal/power cables or the location of my amp. SO i moved it around my house using differant cables. still no solution.

can anyone help me?

btw it happened with my old(plywood, cheapo) bass aswell.ALSO it doesent seem to do it when its on my stand..weird

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    The ground wire on your amp don't work. May be the amp or the ground in your home.

3. werebunny

werebunny

Aug 30, 2005
  4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    so how do I check?

also what sort of interferance could it be?

5. It happened to me when I brought home my brand new but cheap ABG. I was worried about having purchased a complete dud of a cheapie but it turned out to be the damn 'presence' dial on my practice combo. I don't know if that applies to your amp though.

Have you tried turning down the 'treble' dial as well?

Anyway I'm really liking the sound out of the ABG after completely turning down the 'presence' and 'treble' dials.

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    nope, still clicks, just a bit less.

anyone have any idea on how to check if my amp is grounded properly?

7. One more thing you could try is to earth your bass by connecting a wire from any metal point on your bass to, say your toe or something. I used to have that problem with an old acoustic electric guitar, I connected a wire from its jack-in point (wrapped it around one of the screws) and tied the other end to my toe.

8. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, i ran a guitar string under the saddles on my bridge, and stick the other end in my waistband.
    helps.
    um, that reminds me - where do you find that shielding tape on that you are supposed to put in your bass?