1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ground hum/noise on Yamaha P-style bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JLiRD808, Dec 7, 2011.

1. JLiRD808

JLiRD808

Dec 7, 2011
    Typical humming noise with these anomalies....

Its definitely affected by the tone knob. The more treble I give it the louder the hum/buzzing. If its cranked all the way down its almost totally unnoticeable, except then my bass tone SUCKS.

Touching the strings, bridge, etc does nothing...but what does fix it is touching the metal shielding of the cable. If I just rest my hand or touch it with a finger...noise is completely gone. Its the only metal part Ive found that does anything. I've tried other cables too...same problem.

I've done some research and I found something about "star grounds"? Something about rewiring the grounds all to one point I think...

If this is common question sorry. I did searches but most of the threads were about J basses and it seems to be a diff fix.

THANKS!