1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ground "outside" on mid-90s Fretless Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gojiras_Hejira, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Can anyone give me any insight into why my Fender has a ground above the body? I'm looking to sell it and of course it's everyone's first question. I tell them I have no idea but assure them it is stock. I bought it new in 1996. It's Japanese, S-serial code.

~Jimm
    [​IMG]

2. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    never mind the dust! That's why I want to sell it!

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, the ground is outside the body on that bass. That's what the thin strip of copper from the bridge to the pickup is.

4. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    And I wonder why I haven't laid out 20 bucks for this forum yet.

Thank you. The important word in the original post is "why". As in: Why was it manufactured this way instead of a not-stupid way?

5. I think the mid-90's Japanese Jazz Basses were 1962 reissues and that's the way the grounding was done in 1962.

6. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Oh! Retro! I'm going to add $30 to the price!
    I'll look into that. thanks!

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It is, in fact, a re-creation of how they grounded the Jazz originally. I can only assume that it made construction easier. One less hole to drill and one less wire to run through a hole. The fact that Fender didn't do this on any other model (that I know of) baffles me a little, I must admit. Any Fender historians around here?

8. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Yeah, that makes sense for a 1962 budget bass. For mid-90s, "nostalgia" is a perfect answer.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Budget bass?!? The Jazz was the flagship of the Fender basses. Intended to be the super-deluxe upgrade to the Precision.

10. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    From Japan? (he asks earnestly)

11. One possible advantage to that exposed ground is that if you're recording or even on stage and you've got a persistent buzz that you can't get rid of otherwise, you could attach one end of a guitar string to the ground strip and then run the rest of the string down your pants leg and voila! No buzz. This is especially effective when on an outdoor stage during a storm where there's the potential for serious lightning. I like to keep a lampshade handy to use as a hat under those circumstances.
    images.

12. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    OH, I see. Lonote did not say 1962 Japanese...

13. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It was easier for manufacturing and in 62 it would have been covered with the bridge pup cover (ashtray).

14. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Also a smart observation!