Ground problem? Eden navigator issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Okay, this is a confusing ordeal, I will try to be as clear, and simple as possible. Last week at my bands gig, I got an awful hum from the recording DI out, which I normally send to the house with no problems. It sounded like having your instrument cable unplugged, and holding your finger on the end. The sound guy we used was a new guy, and while a nice guy, knows zero about the stuff. We were more or less renting the rig, and doing sound ourselves.

The PA, and bass rig were plugged into the same circuit, I am sure of. When I started diagnosing things, I pulled the instrument cable out of the preamp, to eliminate any possibility of a problem there. I tried muting the preamp to see if it would fix it, nope. I also hit the ground lift, to no result. I ended up getting a signal out of it, but it was very weak, and the hum was too bad to use. We tried 3 different channels in the board, and 3 different mic cables to connect it, with no difference.

Here's where it get's tricky, there are 3 XLR outs coming out of the navigator; Right, Left, and recording DI out. I use the left side out to go to my rigs power amp. I unplugged it, and no matter which one of the three you plugged the rigs power amp to, it was fine, no issues. No matter which one you sent to the house, it buzzed like crazy. 10-15 minutes after start time, I gave up on going through the house, and gave my 210XLT a bit of a workout on the night.

All I can think of is some kind of possible ground problem between systems, but I don't know. You would assume that my rig would get the same buzz on it's own if that were the issue. I asked meathead if he happened to have phantom power on from the board, he looked at it, clicked the button a couple times, and said no, but I have no idea.

I have my whole rig here sitting in front of me, and can check things out if anyone has a suggestion, but I have nothing to plug the DI into until we gig again. I guess I better bring my 410xlt, a mic, or a DI box. We have played at this club numerous times, and while every time something seems to blow up, this is the first time there has ever been a problem with my gear (sticks outlet tester in gig bag).
  2. Sounds like there was a ground loop when you connected your system to the PA system. You could make a short XLR jumper cable that has the Ground connection lifted on one side and then put that between your amp and the PA cable and that should fix it.

Read this for answers:

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use a Nav and gig pretty much every Friday and Saturday. In the last two years, I had ONE night a few months ago where I experienced a similar problem as yours. Soundman and I did everything possible to get rid of the ground hum, and couldn't. It happens. There are lots of variables with power at some venues, different PA's, lighting issues, etc.

My suggestion, always have a simple DI box in your case, you can always just plug into it if you experience the rare unsolvable ground loop problem.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It sounds like an external problem (i.e., not a problem with your rig) to me. However, I have had one experience with my Navigator that might possibly explain (or at least contribute to) the problem that you are experiencing. The first time that I recorded with my Navigator, I noticed a buzz that was present on all of my tracks. I called Eden about this, and they very quickly recommended that I make sure that the gain knobs for the Side Chain and the Aux In are set at opposite extremes (e.g., if one is all the way up, set the other one to all the way down). I don't believe that this is an issue if either one has a signal present, but if neither one is being used, crank them to the opposite extremes and see if this helps.