Ground problems...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sjwaud, Feb 2, 2004.

1. sjwaud

Oct 22, 2003
    Hi all~
    On my new Brice Douglas 5 (Jazz 5 copy) there is a nasty, nasty hum which I am taking to be a ground buzz. If I touch the metal control plate, input jack, metal cord jacks, or any metal part of my amp, the buzz stops. It doesn't change when I touch the pups, bridge, or strings. I've searched through the archives and looked at the guitarnuts website but haven't been able to find anything that relates to this specific problem. One thing I noticed when I popped up the control plate is that there appears to be a ground loop that isn't in a J bass schematic I found on the web. Could this be the source of the problem? All of the wires seemed to be soldered correctly, no loose strands or anything.

TIA for your help...
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Don't know what you've done so far but I'd make sure it was the bass first, not chord, whatever. Change polarity switch on the amp. The internal ground may have been an attempt to resolve the problem that maybe did or didn't work, or may not even be related. Grounds can be a real pain. Just make sure you change one thing at a time and, simplest, cheapest, least damaging, and easiest to restore to previous state, if it doesn't make a difference.

But the most common problem source in a bass itself is the jack.

Good luck.
  3. flyingv8

Feb 5, 2004
    Hey there.I have a fender Jazz bass(Mex) and tried Dimarzio ultra jazz bass pickups which I thought would rid me of the hum but to no avail.When I turn the tone control all the way down the hum goes away but the tone sucks.Have you had any luck with your bass?