1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ground Question: Chasis or Float?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rboyce, May 10, 2006.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to the whole preamp/poweramp rack setup thing.

My power amp (Hafler) has a Ground switch that can be set to either "Chasis" of "Float". Other than following the instructions in the manual (which states something like "...set it to whichever generates the least amount of hum..."), is there a "typical" setting for the ground? In other words, in a situation where you'll be playing lots of gigs in different clubs/bars where you don't necessarily know in advance what the electrical supply situation will be like, is setting the ground to "Chasis" a "safer" choice than setting it to "Float"?

FYI...In addition to the Hafler power amp (Bridged to Mono), I'm using a BBE 383 preamp with a few pedals in front (a Boss TU-2 and a Boss Bass Limiter/Enhancer); the pedals are sometimes powered by 9v adapter and sometimes by battery. I typically play a passive MIM Jazz Bass.

TIA,

ray