Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ground vs Lift on the back of my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmaki, Mar 20, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I have an Eden Nemesis 2x10" combo, and on the back near the XLR out there is a switch that goes from ground to lift. I've never used the XLR out and I'm wondering if that pertains to that or something else... also, if I don't have anything hooked up, should it be on ground or lift?

Thanks
    Dave

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Is it a DI out? My amp has a DI XLR with a switch and I let the sound desk attendant choose which one he wants.

3. If you don't have it hooked up to anything it doesn't matter. If you have it run to the sound console and it buzzes, flick it to the Lift position. It just breaks the shield in the XLR (pin 1) so that the chassis of your amp isn't connected to the PA. Sometimes this will cause a ground loop and a buzz in your amp or the PA. The lift gives a quick fix.

CS: "sound desk attendant?" I've never heard that before. :D

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Engineer is often incorrectly used. Anyway the best engineers are bassplayers as you know :)

5. This is very true. It's too bad really. Of course Bass players are the best engineers ;).