Ground wire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garagehead, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Garagehead

Garagehead

Jun 11, 2022
    Hi all,
    I’m rebuilding my 1963 Hofner Artist bass (solid body), since I stripped it down over 20 years ago I’ve had it resprayed and now I am stuck as to where the ground wire from the pickups/pots goes. As I remember it went through the body from under the scratchplate to come out under the saddle. I can’t find any holes now, what I want to know is do I have to run the wire to the saddle or can I connect it elsewhere? If it needs to go to the saddle is there an easy way to drill a hole through the body, it needs to be about 4 inches long but very small diameter.
    I would be very grateful for any advice.
    Cheers, Gary.

2. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    All ground wires should converge to one point and from there go to the sleeve of the output jack.
    On Fender basses this point is usually the back of the volume pot. I don't know what your bass looks like but I'm sure there's at least one volume pot.
    Do the same for the ground wire for the tone pot, bridge and shielding, if the latter is present.
    This scheme is called star grounding.

If you Google the P bass wiring you can see what I'm talking about. The ground wires are black.

Post pictures of your bass if you need more help.

XLunacy likes this.
  3. Garagehead

Garagehead

Jun 11, 2022
    Andare, thanks for that, I think I understand what you’re saying, I’ll give it a go
    Cheers, Gary