Ground Wound Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brock29609, Mar 30, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm thinking of trying a set. I know GHS Brite Flats are ground wounds. What are the other manufacturers' ground wounds called? What are my choices out there? (and feel free to provide a review if you've tried any)

P.S. Please don't bother telling me about a great set of flats, rounds or pressure wounds. I've about tried them all. Ground wounds only, please.
  2. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    D'Addario half rounds are the first thing that comes to mind...

3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Ken Smith makes Slick Rounds. I have a set in transit. I'll give a review when they arrive.
  4. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Status graphite makes wonderful strings. I had a set of their half-rounds on a fretless for a little bit (I ended up wanting a brighter string) and they sounded great and held up nicely. You can order them from their website .
  5. Dean Markley makes some in a brown package simply called "Ground Round Wound".
  6. D'Addario Half-Rounds, GHS Brite Flats, Dean Markley Ground Roundwound, Status Halfwound, and SIT Power Flats.

7. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks everyone. Now has anyone tried any of these? Which ones are more bright, and which ones are more like flats? I imagine some are ground more than others.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I recently tried GHS Brite Flats and found them much more Flat than Brite. In fact, IME, Fender, Labella, and Rotosound flatwounds are brighter. OTOH, the D'Addario Half-Rounds feel and sound much closer to rounds. Those are the only two half-round sets I've tried recently, although I did try a set of GHS Pressurewounds that were pretty nice.
  9. I use Brite Flats on my fretless and have for years. I find, though, that they are inconsistent. Some sets feel more "round wound" than others. I have switched to flats on all my fretted basses but I like the sound of Brite Flats more on the fretless...they seem to maximize the mwah and the singing quality of the fretless. I probably should try some other brands but I'm a creature of habit.
  10. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've used the Dean Markleys and the GHS strings, both on a MIM P Bass, and a Schecter fretless.

The Markleys sounded great, IMO, almost a flatwound thump, but with more tone and personality. They feel rather rough, though, and I can't play on a set of these as long as I can on flats or rounds. I still use these.

The GHSs, OTOH, sucked. There was always a harsh overtone to the sound, and out of the four strings, in both sets I had, the E and A were always nearly dead right out of the package, while the D and G were brighter and uglier. They did feel great to play on, though.
  11. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I used D'addario half-flats for quite awhile and was rather happy with them. They get very good and clear highs in addition to a solid and smooth lows- a very balanced string. They are, however, very high tension and may bother your fingers.
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I used GHS Pressurewounds on my fretless for something like ten years. I liked them. I still like them. But they are really hard to track down. It's easier to order them in bulk.

I gave up on finding a set a year or two ago and started trying out flatwounds to see which ones worked best for me. Currently I am using a set of Rotosound flats and they are great. I didn't really expect that.

But back to subject: GHS Pressurewounds good, other GHS prdoucts( all of them so far) bad.
  13. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002

What gauge do you use and what is the tension like on the Roto Flats ... high, med, low?