Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ground wound nickel plated iron

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Feb 28, 2004.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I really like the sound and feel of the GHS pressure wounds, unfortunately, GHS doesn't offer Pressure Wounds in a 5 string set. I'm looking for something similar for my OLP MM3.
    in a medium tension. The only string that I have found that comes close, is the Ken Smith Slick Rounds. Any others out there? :meh:

Thanks, H2

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    It's not nickle 'plated' iron !! It is a Nickle/Iron Alloy. Both metals are used to make the wire. We call it 'Niron' in the string industry.
    Our 'Compressors' are probably what you are looking for and not the 'Slickrounds'. You can get a 5-string set of 'Compressors'from any of our dealers or on-line dealers.

See details and specs here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Strings/specialtystrings.html

3. 59jazz

Thanks, Ken! I'm pleased with the nickel plated wounds that you offer, so I might as well try your compressors.
    Are they a med tension?

Thanks, Steve

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    They come in 4 gauges but we only make one 'B',.125T but occasionally we run som non-tapered 'Bs'.
    Did you check out the link I posted? They will feel slightly tighter than the same gauge in round wounds.

5. 59jazz

Probably would have been a good idea for me to check the link prior to posting, thanks for your help Ken.........you da man!

stevO