Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groundhog Day and State Of The Union address

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CJ_Marsicano, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Wednesday was Groundhog Day and the day of the State of the Union Address. This was an ironic juxtaposition:
    -one event involved a meaningless ritual in which we looked to a creature of little intelligence for important prognostication;
    -the other involved a groundhog.

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    what a hilarious satirical observation.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    This thread is now about Ogre Battle. Discuss.

[​IMG]

4. I've always felt that the best humor was rooted in the truth. ;)

5. According to CNN, the speech was interrupted 61 times for applause.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yup, mainly by his party

7. Yeah! I liked the one where Ogre became a nerd and then he's all, like, partying with all the nerds, and then the frat guys come and Ogre's like all "hey!" and they're all like "hey" and then they like party. Or something.

If you read all that- anyone can be amused by idiocy.

8. Well, the Congress has a slim Republican majority [:spit:] for at least the next two years... of course there's going to be such interruptions. Other than that, how many times Bush was interrupted means nothing.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    actually i liked it, especially if you read it fast

:D

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Ogre is cool...
    [​IMG]

But Booger pwns
    [​IMG]

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Anyone ever wonder about these kind of pictures? I mean, really think. The way the head's turned isometrically so it's not directly facing the consumer and thus intimidate them; but the eyes are directed at them to still get their attention. It's engaging without being threatening. Then, the product (in this case, the beer), is being held on level with his head. Far enough away so you can distinguish the two but the placement of the arm makes the connection between the endorser and the endorsee. Then the thumbs up and smile communicate the endorser's approval of said product. The cigar adds a whiff of rebellion and danger, but not too much. Interestingly, the bottle is not opened, which means it's not like they took the picture right while he was in the middle of enjoying a cool bottle o' brew, but rather that this shot was obviously staged. This is probably to make it easier for consumers to recognize the beer as it appears in the store cooler. At the same time though, what's wrong with it? Why isn't it open? Is he about to enjoy it? Did they take the picture pre-cold-one-ing because Mr. Ogre gets really violent when he's hammered?

This picture should be banned. :mad:

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yup...democrat or republican state of the union speeches are all the same in that regard. Always have been as long as I can remember.

Robert Smigel did a funny cartoon parodying the partisan clap/no clap state of the union thing years back. It was really funny..if anyone knows where I can watch it online let me know.

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :smug:

brad cook