Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Groundhogs??

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by squeegeebrown, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Excuse me Mr Watt....Just wondering if you ever listened to the Groundhogs? In particular "Who Will Save The World"? There are moments in there that seem like they worked their way into the influence pool..Get back out here to Abq..when you can.We'd like to make up for a few glaring issues at that last show..From one son of a Chief to another...

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I love playing albuquerque and will be back this next spring, probably in march.

I remember the groundhogs - a power trio from england, I think. good sound. dezo used to play them a bunch in the van when us minutemen would tour w/black flag.

on bass, watt

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The Groundhogs are still very much around and gigging occasionally here in the U.K. - Saw them a little while back!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Aren't they just : Tony McPhee? I had a Groundhogs album where he basically just played everything. There were some interesting tracks and a lot of "noise" ? ;)

5. rcapi

rcapi

Dec 3, 2000
    Hello,

A Blast from the past. The Groundhogs were excellent. Every once in a while, I drag out "Thank Crist For The Bomb", it rocks.

Excellet bass player too in Pete Cruikshank.

Best,

Richard

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Still have a copy of "Split" somewhere.....I used to buy albums if the covers led me to believe the guitars and bass were painfully loud.

Have a weird copy of a blues album they did before "Split" (not "Blues Obituary").

The only thing that bugged me was the sound engineering/mix down, at least on the US copies. It was almost as bad as the atrocity Bowie committed on the original mix of "Raw Power" (Stooges).

7. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I agree, a bad mix can sure make things tough. however, good tunes still can power on through. that's a trip about that. remember the heartbreakers (the real ones w/johnny thungers) "l.a.m.f." record?

on bass, watt

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That was super-sad......about the only LP I ever heard where the remix was even worse than the original.

I was in a touring band back then and got to hear what they really sounded like at Max's KC - powerful stuff!

Word I heard was that Thunders and Tony James (Gen X) set out to do the remix right over a couple of nights...how anyone can screw up "Chinese Rocks" is beyond me :confused: