1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grounding a reissue Rivoli

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lunarpollen, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Just for the hell of it today, I decided to try and resolve the grounding issue in my Epiphone Rivoli... There's an awful buzz coming from the instrument, but I love how the smaller neck and the Pyramid strings I have on it feel, so I'd really like to get rid of the hum, even though the pickup itself is anemic and needing replacement (which will happen at a later date).

So I loosened the strings, and the bridge slid right off the three posts. But I can't see any way to visually inspect if/how/where it's grounded. There is no access plate in the rear or open cavity under where the bridge sits. I suppose I could try and pry the bridge post bushings out, but I'm not sure if this will help... Does anyone know where/how the grounding wire for Rivolis are normally supposed to contact the bridge assembly? If I at least knew where I should be looking, maybe I'd be able to figure this thing out.... Maybe I need a fiber-optic scope to stick inside the F-hole by the electronics and snoop around... haha

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
  3. According to this schematic:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/Rivoli wiring.pdf

there is a ground wire going to the bridge

but it's all irrelevant anyway, because stupid me accidentally lost the input jack inside the body and can't get it out through its hole again... So I'm just gonna put the loose hardware in a bag and put the bass away until I obtain a decent pickup for it, and then take it to the same guitar tech who fixed the wiring in my Epiphone Les Paul because he is amazing... It's not urgent that i get this bass up and running soon; I just really love(d) playing it.... But now I have serious G.A.S. for the new Hofner Contemporary violin bass in black... I may end up with one of those before I have my Rivoli up and running again....

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    take a 12-15" length of stiff wire (like a coat hanger) and make a loop on one end. then fish the jack through the f-hole, slip the wire through the jack and guide it back through the hole in the body. be sure you get the lockwasher that goes between the jack and the body. also, a slight bend in the coat hanger wire will make the process a bit easier.

regarding the ground issue, there should be a ground wire coming from one of the threaded inserts for the bridge posts that grounds the bridge. iirc, mine was a yellow wire.