'Grounding Each Pickup Cavity'

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Sep 3, 2018.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I already know how to do this task, but my question is based on having already shielded the cavity of the bass. But this is where I am, the pickups are sealed nicely in epoxy with one good coated wire covering 4 conductor wires for hookup. Do I really need to ground the two pickup cavitys together since the pickups are sealed in epoxy?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

EMI doesn't care about epoxy. The shielding is there to stop the EMI from getting to the pickup & it can't do its job if it's not grounded.
    They don't need to be grounded to each other, but they do need to be grounded to the controls cavity, which essentially does electrically connect them both.

Axstar and mech like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Grounding is only as good as it’s weakest link. If something is not grounded it’s a potential source of noise. Kinda be like insulating your entire house but leaving the front door wide open.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021