1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grounding Issue... I think.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    My new-to-me '73 Guild JS-2 has just developed some kind of annoying popping sound when I touch the pickup switch, the bass-cut mini-toggle or the chrome pickup cover... It doesn't happen every single time, but it happens enough to annoy me.

Keep in mind I have very little electronics knowledge, but it sounds like a grounding issue, right? So what should I look for to determine if that is what the problem is, and how do I fix it? I've proven that I'm pretty terrible with a soldering iron, so is this something I should have my tech take care of? Thanks guys!

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    If your bad with a soldering iron, your best bet is to take it to a tech. But it sounds like there is a loose common/ground somewhere. Does it happen when you are touching the strings or when you are not touching the strings?

3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I'll have to try it again when I get home. I think it was happening when I wasn't touching the strings mainly. Hard to say though; this thing neck-dives like a beast so I may have been holding the neck with my left hand (therefore touching the strings) to keep the neck from plunging.

The annoying thing is that I just got a setup and asked the tech to look over the electronics. He told me it looked reasonably clean considering it's age, and that he could clean it up i wanted, but that it didn't really need it. One week later it starts a'poppin. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I can only get out to him on weekends, and I have a gig friday. Bleh.

4. Replace the switch.

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Actually just last night I finally cracked open the controls and noticed that some of the foil shielding had peeled away from the inside of the cavity... i stuck it back in place, looked confusedly at all the wiring and just made it a point to make sure no exposed joints or wires were touching that shouldn't be (they pretty much looked fine though) and closed her back up.

Took it to practice a few hours later and she worked like a charm. I'm assuming it was just the foil getting in the way, but being the electronics noob that i am, who knows. Maybe i wiggled the right wire.