Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grounding Issue with Elixir Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MacCailc, Dec 19, 2004.

1. MacCailc

MacCailc

Dec 19, 2004
    Hi Everybody,

I'm a new user - thanks for the chance to participate.

I recently installed a set of Elixir Nanoweb strings on my Mike Lull Vintage 4 with single coil Fralin pickups with exposed polepieces. I like the tone of the strings, but I noticed a problem. Whenever there is any incidental contact between my plucking fingers and the polepieces, I get a light popping sound through the amp, same as if I had removed my hands from the instrument and then touched the bridge or control plate. I assume this is happening because the coating on the strings is insulating my hands from the string and therefore from the instrument ground (I never had a problem with uncoated strings).

Has anyone else had this experience with Elixirs, and if so did you figure out anything that can be done about it? I e-mailed Gore music, and they suggested I lower the pickups or cover the polepieces with an insulator (e.g. electrical tape - blecch!). I contacted Roger Gee at Mike Lull Guitar Works and he suggested trying to remove some of the coating where the strings contact the bridge, but I don't think that would work because there would still be insulation between fingers and strings. Anybody have other ideas, or should I just give up on coated strings? Unless I'm doing something wrong, this seems like it would be a common problem, but I haven't been able to find any other mention of this issue anywhere so far.

Thanks again,

Mac