Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grounding issue with piezo saddles

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fookgub, Jan 21, 2006.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I just got a set of Graphtech piezo saddles, and I'm having a little trouble coming up with a good way to ground my strings. The bridge plate is grounded, but since the saddles aren't conductive, the strings are floating. To complicate the matter, I have a corian nut (which isn't going anywhere) and individual ferrules (and the bridge is through body stringing only), so there is no electrical connection between the strings or from the strings to the bridge. Any ideas on an inconspicuous but relatively easy way to ground the strings?

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I read recently about grounding the string ferrules on the back where the string balls mount.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I thought about doing that. Running a wire from the bridge plate to each ferrule using the though-body holes for the strings. That one is definitely do-able, but will be a bit of a pain because I'll need to undo some of my wiring to get the bridge off. I was hoping someone would come through with a forehead slapper "why did I think of that" type thing, but if not, I'll try it the way you described.

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, I ended up doing it the way I described above. It wasn't so bad... took about 45 minutes.