Grounding my bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Hey guys,
    On My classic 60's jazz bass the grounding wire under the bridge doesn't seem to be touching anything. There is only a liitle bit of exposed wire and it is just hiding down in the hole.
    Should I pull that wire up some more, strip it down and tape it to the bridge to get a better ground? The bass does have a buzz to it unless I touch the bridge. Thanks for your help! :)
  2. pull it up and strip some more of the shielding off to give it a better connection... bolt the bridge back down and the force of the bridge vs body wood ought to hold it tight
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    If the bass has a buzz to it "unless you touch the bridge", that means your bridge is already connected to your ground plane somehow. Otherwise, that wouldn't happen. If there's no electrical connection between your bridge and anything else on your bass, the behavior should be at the opposite end of the spectrum (ie it only buzzes when you touch the bridge). Have you tried testing the electrical continuity between your bridge and your jack-sleeve with an ohm meter?
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Also, tape isn't the best tool for grounding (IMO). Solder=Yes.
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Does it have the metal strip going from bridge to the bridge pickup cavity? If so, that's the bridge ground. If not, then the ground wire was touching your bridge before you removed the bridge. Just make sure the strands are put between the body and the bridge plate when reattaching the bridge.

Again, your bridge is grounded if the hum goes away when touching the bridge. The only way to get rid of the hum completely is to shield the bass. Do a search.
  6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Thanks for your replys. Once again I have learned much from this site. I'll look into the shielding situation.