Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grounding on my SX

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Minger, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I noticed a bit of noise today when I was playing my bass - it died doiwn aafter like 5 minutes, but I found it weird because it was being louder than usual - so I thought of the grounding again - its wired to go to the bridge, but should I also have it go to the negative on the output jack too or something?

And my shielding job was pure crap, tape + aluminum foil but it worked a bit

2. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just got my sx short scale P bass. I put Duncan 1/4 lbers in it and new pots and stuff. It still buzzed alot until I shielded the cavity with aluminum foil tape and the back of the entire pickguard with aluminum foil. Its Almost dead quiet now. You have to ground the aluminum sheilding also. I ran a ground wire from a ring terminal screwed into the cavity sidewall and soldered it to the back of a pot. It works great. :hyper:

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    When I get around to it i'll swap it for aluminum tape - gotta be better than my crap job, lol.

But shield the back of the pickguard...guess that gives me something to do.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Aluminium foil tape?? the same used to seal pipe joints and stuff??

I need to do an urgent shielding work on my Fender Mike Dirnt and maybe this is what I was looking for.

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah, aluminum foil tape like at Home Depot. You need to fold it over and overlap it from piece to piece in the cavity so it makes a continuous contact. Then I just use some electrical tape to keep the seams together. It works great. When sheilding the pickguard, I use regular aluminum foil and some spray adhesive. Make sure the foil makes contact with some of the cavity sheilding when you put the pickguard back on ,that will continue the ground.
    I used the "guitarnuts" website for the idea.
    It really works great. Its not the prettiest job, but it takes most of the noise away :) .

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    one last question - so should it also be grounded to the negative lug on the output jack?