Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grounding plates + shielding for a PBass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TyKao, Jan 12, 2006.

1. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I've started buying parts for my Pbass project and recently acquired a 62 reissue custom shop Pbass pickup. This pickup comes with a brass grounding plate that also has foam on it for mounting.

I was originally planning to use shielding paint for the control and pickup cavities as well as on the back of the pickguard and do a "star" grounding scheme for the electronics. If I go ahead with the paint, can I still use the grounding plate or will that just cause more interference?

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    The grounding plate is meant to be a shield.
    P basses by nature of the pickup are naturally hum free anyway.
    Are you having noise issues?
    You'd be gaining very little by applying the paint to the pup cavity and retaining the ground plate. No, it won't cause interference issues. I've used copper foil myself even on my p bass but not cause it really needed it. I just felt better after doing it I s'pose. A jazz bass benefits much more from shielding.

3. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I haven't put the bass together yet, but I wanted to minimize any noise that wasn't coming from my fingers/pick or the strings.

I heard from a prior thread that using copper tape and paint together would increase the impedance of the electronics. Would keeping the grounding plate in a painted cavity do the same thing?

4. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Hey, sorry to "hijack" this thread but I had a similar question.
    I recently shielded my jazz bass with the copper shielding tape. The pickups had copper plates on the bottom of them. I took the plate off the bridge and left it on the neck.
    Now whenever I touch the poles on the neck it hums, and I can't really even hear the bridge.
    Could these problems be related to that copper bar?

Edit: Since doing the copper shielding more successfully on another jazz bass I have noticed that it has become more sensitive to RF waves from amps and monitors (it will hum when in close proximity), did I do something wrong?

5. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Bump