Grounding problem, easy to fix?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hunta, Dec 24, 2004.

1. hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I'm trying to fix a fairly cheapie bass guitar for a friend of mine who's interested in learning. It's some kind of galveston bass. I did a truss rod adjustment and fixed the strap button which had fallen off, and the only thing left is the grounding hum whenever I stop playing it. I don't know a lot about electronics, but I assume there is a grounding wire on the input jack or something? The only way to get into the electronics it looks like is to take off this giant pick guard and all the knobs and everything, which I don't mind doing but I'd like to be sure I know what to fix if I open it up. Would I need to get a new input jack or is this something I could fix with a soldering iron you think?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    IME, if the leads to the output jack have come off, either one, you will get no signal. Sounds more like it may have single coil pickups. In any case, it won't hurt to pull the guard up, and see if any wires have come loose from the pots. Look espicially at the back of the pots, as those will be easy to spot ground problems.