Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grounding Problem on Fender USA Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Draxx, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

First off hope you all had a great holiday season :).

Well it seems that I have developed a slight grounding problem in my new p-bass deluxe (usa) and I was just wondering if I could run the symptoms by all you very knowledgeable people and get some advice on what to do about it.

First off the bass is in warrantee, but I kind of need to be playing it at the moment as my back up bass is badly out of action.

Well anyway as me and the boys were standing around chewing the fat after band prac last night I was adjusting the settings on my amp and bass a little trying to get a more solid E string sound (we tune E string down the C# and I haven't found the ideal settings for this bass yet). Well anyway I found it but after playing a couple of licks I noticed that there was a hum when my fingers where not touching the strings and the bass was silent. I'm not talking about just a little hum, it was pretty badass.

I had a bit of a fiddle with the settings on my bass and it seems that the hum has something to do with the back pick up as the only way I could get rid of it was by soloing the front pick up.

It also seemed to be affected by the mid knob, when set to the min value with the pick-ups 50% blended it was reduced quite a lot (but had not completely gone). The treble affected it only slightly and the bass not at all.

Any ways the way I see it this could be one of a few things:

a) Bad ground lift in bass, buzzing through the bridge into the back pickup (I have heard of this problem in MIJ fender guitars, but not in usa deluxe basses)
    b) Faulty Super - J pickup at bridge, creating a buzzing noise.
    c) Faulty Lead - have not had a chance to check - will do tonight.
    d) Problem with amp - have not had a chance to check, will do tonight.
    e) Crossed power lines in practice room - will investigate tonight.

Anyways if it is problems a) or b) i think I am in a bit of trouble as I cannot afford to not have this bass in working order right now.

Based on all the experience and knowledge hear at talk bass, can anyone shed any light on this? Anyone had a similar problem with a bass? How was it resolved?

Thanks so much guys I will try a different lead tonight, try my combo at home before practice, and check into the crossed power leads at practice and update this thread tomorrow.

Joseph D

edit: got rid of about 15 typos, sorry guys :) :rolleyes: