Grounding problem with Lakland Duck after pickguard swap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Hi all!

I just swapped my pickguard and thought it was gonna be a simple thing, but when I got everything put back together, I seem to have created a ground issue. I can barely hear a note, unless I touch a knob or the bridge.

4e969d38.jpg

Please help. Thanks in advance!

2. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had this same problem on a Glaub. There is a ground that should be there and on mine it was a piece of foil on the back of the pickguard. I bought a new one that didnt have it and i had the same issue.

3. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Ahhh...I have a piece of foil right freakin here! Gonna try that now!! Thanks bama...will report back in a few minutes!!:hyper:

4. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    And the award to the most helpful person on TB today goes to bamabass! Concurrent award for dumbass of the day goes to Engine207!

c3c5dcc4.jpg

Thanks bama!!

[/thread]

5. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    anytime bro! Glad it worked!

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I did exactly the same thing when i got a PG for my DD from Jeannies.
    It took me a few mins to figure out it didnt have any foil on it.

7. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    At least you weren't TB's dumbass of the day!
    Banana.gif

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Well it was a few years ago and i was about to start a thread at the time so almost.

It wasnt until i put the original PG back on and the hum went that made me look at both and then it was pretty simple to sort out.
    Until that point i thought i had broken a pot, so i almost got the award. Just glad no one ever found out about it :bag:

9. MglMatador

MglMatador

May 5, 2010
    This is why control plates and pickguards should never be used for a ground return. If one of the knobs or output jack loosens, you can get intermittent behavior.

While you got the guts of that thing open, I would run ground wires to all common ground points: the foil will be the backup.

10. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I was getting the solder gun heated up when bama posted about the foil... :)

11. MglMatador

MglMatador

May 5, 2010
    Do it anyway: you can thank me later. :smug:

12. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I'll just do it now! Thanks, Matador!

13. i was wondering, all parts are grounded (including the foil) to the pot and then to the ground on the jack?

14. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    You may be able to see in the photo of my OP, but if I remember correctly, both leads from the pup go to the volume pot, then the ground goes from there to the jack. The bridge ground also runs to the output. That's what threw me off. The tone pot didn't seem to be grounded.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021