grounding problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris J, Mar 17, 2002.

1. On my bass I have changed the bridge and one of the pups. The bridge was used as a ground and I thought I reconnected it properly. But when I touch a string a sound comes from my amp kinda like the sound a spark makes. But my fingers aren't on the strings the bass buzzes a little. But when I touch the strings the buzzing stops. Also, if I touch a string with one finger and then touch another without removing the 1st, there is no sound. I've heard similar stories and I think this is a grounding problem. Am I right?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I can always be wrong, but yes, it sounds like a grounding problem. You might want to take off your strings and take off the bridge to make sure the ground wire is still in contact. (Or will be, when you put the bridge back on... you know what I mean.) Also, check the pots and the pickup connections to make sure the ground wire soldering is still firmly connected. There should be no loose "ends" in your control cavity. That is, everything should be connected to SOMEthing. If you're still flummoxed, or don't want to reconnect the wire yourself (assuming that's the problem), you can consult your local repair shop. Good luck!