Grounding problems on my Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by orskard, Mar 12, 2005.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Ok here is the whole story.

I have a fender p bass special, PJ pups, wired vol vol tone. I spilt 7 up on my bass a few years ago and it got in my pickups, not sure if this really had to do with it or not, because just lately... since i got my RBI ive noticed that it will stop buzzzing when i touch a knob or the bridge or even the amp itself. What can i do to check that my bass is grounded right? I installed a new tone pot a few months ago by myself, it wasnt hard so that couldnt have been it.

Is there something i can do to my bass to have it buzz less? Do i have some wires disconnected? Should i take off my bridge and look to see if that wire is still touching under neath?

Any help would be great.

....sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i wasnt sure what to put it under, since it might not be just the pickups.
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Its kinda normal for pickups to hum/buzz - they're grounded through the bridge most often, in which if you touch the metal then they will stop - you're the ground.

Do a search on shielding - its what I need to do on my jazz.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Search this forum under "hum", especially the "pickups" forum. Lots of good info there. Too busy to post it all again. :)