Grounding/Shielding Issue???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Dec 28, 2001.

1. About 3 weeks ago, I had picked up my brand new Fender Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass from a local music store. As of a week and a half ago, I noticed that this peculiar buzzing/feeding back noise was happening. At first I thought it was school's amp, but then when I brought my SWR Workingman 10 combo and used that for Jazz Band Practice, it still buzzed. Earlier today, I had taken it along with me to the music store and had them check it out. The guy (who was a total idiot) said he heard nothing, even though I had heard it myself. I tried it again today on my SWR Workingman 2004/SWR Workingman 4x10T and it didn't buzz!!! ARRG!!!

The set-ups were: Fender 1980's Keyboard amp 60 watts, Monster Standard 12 ft straight/angle cable, Fender MMJB ***Buzzed***

Same as above, except school's 1962-ish original Fender P-Bass (with most likely original strings) ***Still Buzzed***

SWR Workingman 10 combo, Moster Standard 12ft st/ang cable, Fender MMJB. ***Still Buzzed***

SWR Workingman 2004/SWR WM 4x10T, Monster Std 12ft St/ang/ cable, Fender MMJB. ***No Buzzing what so ever***

Fender Bassman 15 combo, some cheap cord, Fender MMJB. ***Minimal, but ever present buzzing***

With all of these cases, I've tried muting the strings (placing my hand directly on the strings) ***Still Buzzed, except w/ my half stack***. I've tried switching to passive mode on my MMJB ***Still Buzzed***. But what really made me wonder, was it the amp, the cable, or the bass? Does my control cavity need to be shielded? Does my bass need to be grounded? PLEASE HELP!!!!
  2. It's a perfect bass, don't get me wrong tho...sounds better than the Fender American Standard and sounds like a Ernie Ball Music Man Sting Ray 5 (minus the low b).
  3. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i had similar problems with a fender geddy lee jazz bass.
    with me, the problem would vary from room to room, day to day, building to building, etc.
    i think it was bad wiring in my apartment that made it especially bad.
    with single-coil pickups, you're vulnerable to static, hum, buzz, etc. and different electrical situations can make it worse.
    i eventually got hum-cancelling pickups (basslines) that sounded great and eliminated the problem.
    try playing the bass somewhere else... music store, friend's house, etc. and see if you have any luck.