Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 28, 2000.

1. I have been told that to drastically the buzz I get, I need to either shield or ground my bass.

What are the differences between grouding and shielding?

Which one should I do?

Where can I find tutorials?
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This is really a set up kinda thing.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  3. There are two types of noise that our instruments will amplify - RF interference and Hum from it's own internal components and poor grounding. RF noise comes from lights, appliances, and other external sources, is picked up through the circuitry in our basses and is sent to the amplifier. This type of noise is dealt with by "shielding" the instrument components. You can do this by using a shielding paint or adhesive foil in the wiring cavity and by using shielded wires and cables. The other noise is from the pickups and/or poor ground connections between the basses components. Check these to make sure they exist and are in optimum condition.

And boy are there a bunch of folks here that know a ton more about this than I do. I hope they help you out also PsychoBassGuy? Where are you!
  4. Thanks for the help.

My problem was the string height. I raised them and I guess I don't need to.

Thank you very much for clearing that up.
  5. For anyone out there who's experiencing hum or buzz, both Carvin and Lane Poor sell copper sheilding kits, complete with everything you need. Stewart MacDonald also sells sheets of copper foil.