Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grounding Strip on a Vintage Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zeronyne, Feb 16, 2006.

1. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I'm trying to find a solution to ground my P-Bass electronics to the bridge. Mighty Mite did not route a channel from the electronics/pickup cavity to the bridge area, so I either have to route from the back (not worth it for a single wire) and design a cover, or go external.

I noticed that older Jazz basses have a copper-colored strip from the bridge to the bridge pickup. Is that indeed a piece of copper? Is it just attached to the shielded cavity on one end and the bridge on the other?

Thanks

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Yes.

Rather than routing a channel, see if your friendly neighborhood repair shop can drill a hole from the area under the bridge into the electronics cavity. Stewart Macdonald used to sell extra long drill bits just for this purpose, but I can't find them on their website anymore.

3. Have you looked thoroughly to see if there is a hole drilled as in the post above. I've seen some small ones before that were easy to miss.