Grounding Strip on a Vintage Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zeronyne, Feb 16, 2006.

1. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    I'm trying to find a solution to ground my P-Bass electronics to the bridge. Mighty Mite did not route a channel from the electronics/pickup cavity to the bridge area, so I either have to route from the back (not worth it for a single wire) and design a cover, or go external.

I noticed that older Jazz basses have a copper-colored strip from the bridge to the bridge pickup. Is that indeed a piece of copper? Is it just attached to the shielded cavity on one end and the bridge on the other?

2. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005

Rather than routing a channel, see if your friendly neighborhood repair shop can drill a hole from the area under the bridge into the electronics cavity. Stewart Macdonald used to sell extra long drill bits just for this purpose, but I can't find them on their website anymore.
  3. Have you looked thoroughly to see if there is a hole drilled as in the post above. I've seen some small ones before that were easy to miss.