grounding the bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassmanjan, Jul 18, 2004.

1. hi there-

last weekend i was doing some recordings with my band. it was quite successful, but when we listened to the bass tracks, there was a frequent crackling on most of them. after a while i found out that it always occurs anytime i touch the strings "again", for example after striking an empty string and holding the tone or after a pause. seems like i'm obviously grounding the bass. the noise is very slight, but however it's disturbing, particularly at solo bass parts!

anybody familiar with that problem? i must admit that i had it for the first time though i've been playing for eight years now. does anyone have any useful ideas how to overcome this? (except for always having one hand on the strings)

2. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I had a similar experience with my 4001 Ric years ago. The "grounding" noise was irritating and one of the reasons I bought a new bass.
  3. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Get a ground lift, but be careful of the electrical situation that you're plugging into. If it's old and suspicious then you might want to look into soldering some wires.
  4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    They do that on Warwicks don't they? Run a wire from the bridge into the eg dept, thats what they do. I'm no expert but i am sure you should be carefull!
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Since grounding is a repair issue, not technique related, I'll move this thread to setup.
  6. Use an alligator clip and ground the pickups to the bridge with a piece of wire, it works wonders in the studio for basses with grounding problems.

Also try flipping the phase on the strip you are plugged into, or reverse the polarity on the amp itself.

7. Excellent advice here boys, she's a pro in the studio - maybe put one of these alligator leads in your gigbag for the night that your bridge ground comes off and your buzzin' like a beehive on bourbon. :D
  8. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    In my fender there is this wire from pickup to bridge for the grounding. My problem is that it's not working. I guess it's gone loose at the p-up end. How can I repair it? Where should it be attached?
  9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The ground wire should be attached to the metal body of one of the pots (where the black pick up wire attaches).
  10. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Ok thanks, I'll check it out!
  11. thanks a lot, all of you. good to hear that i'm not the only one dealing with that problem. i'll be trying out all of your good ideas.
  12. I noticed this with one set of strings (GHS Infinity Steels). I believe this was due to the fact the strings were coated and the steel ball not making good contact. With non coated strings you have the string touching the metal saddles as well as the ball making electrical contact. So in my case it was the coated string that caused the problem.